Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: I grow increasingly frustrated with the fact that...

[ QUOTE ]
I'll take 3 or 4 [callers], but how can I expect my aces to win win unimproved if the whole table is in the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't. AA only wins something like 34% of the time against 8 opponents.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the best advice I ever got was in Lee Jones' book quoting Sklansky. Essentially, there is nothing special about any one "session". If you decide to play poker seriously it's all one big session.

Also, bad players do in fact save you a tremendous amount of money. If you don't believe me, check this out.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ts Kc (straight, ace high).
Hero has Qc Qd (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: UTG wins 12.75 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

wow that's crazy - that's like when my g/f and I were playing heads-up and I bluffed at the pot on the river, and she only called with her quad aces.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason I tend to quit while I'm ahead is mostly because I've lost my profits so many times before and kicked myself for not leaving sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't be afraid. Feel the force.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:08 PM

I'm currently 158 hands into a session, down half my stack and determined to either go broke or work my way back up to my original buy-in I guess this is the sort of thinking that screws me over...
Old 04-22-2005, 08:12 PM

being determined to go broke is bad. take a break.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:16 PM

Well y'see, I've had this happen to me numerous times and if I had enough time, I've always been able to come back and have never once gone broke. I've had to leave while I was down big, but I've never totally busted out. Until I do, it'll be hard to shake this mentality.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head. I'll give your suggestion a try. The main reason I tend to quit while I'm ahead is mostly because I've lost my profits so many times before and kicked myself for not leaving sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know how you feel, because I did this myself when I'd just started playing. Fight the urge to quit a winner when you're a few dollars ahead, and you'll be rewarded.

olavfo
Old 04-23-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head. I'll give your suggestion a try. The main reason I tend to quit while I'm ahead is mostly because I've lost my profits so many times before and kicked myself for not leaving sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know how you feel, because I did this myself when I'd just started playing. Fight the urge to quit a winner when you're a few dollars ahead, and you'll be rewarded.

olavfo

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm working on as well. I'm very glad to see this thread and know there are other people who grab their small winnings and run so the "crazies" won't take my profits. I'm going to start sitting down and either play a set amount of hands or hours or quit for the session if I go down 30BB.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently 158 hands into a session, down half my stack and determined to either go broke or work my way back up to my original buy-in I guess this is the sort of thinking that screws me over...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll say. Once I imagined my entire poker career being played at the very same table with the 'same' players, the meaning of "it's ALL one long session" really sunk in. I started to appreciate the absurdity of "quitting while I'm ahead" or "playing until I get it back." They are dangerous ILLUSIONS.

If you always play at the same table it just doesn't make any sense to think you're running off with quick profits. Or sticking around until you get your losses back. The situation you left at your one and only table is the exact same situation you will sit down to next time you play cards. Short term p/l has no meaning anymore.

And one other HUGE difference that realization made was my emotional state. I stopped screaming and slamming stuff around me when someone seriously sucked out; I stopped zoning out on getting even with whoever. I had thought maybe my temperament was just too hotheaded to be able to play cards and handle the emotions. But now I see it was my misunderstanding causing that and steam doesn't come out my ears anymore. I don't mind 'congratulating' clueless suckouts now - they'll always be holding my money for me and always be at 'my table'. At some point the inevitable odds and correct play will take care of things for me...

Mike
Old 04-23-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then I find myself at a table where 8 people unconditionally call me down to the river

[/ QUOTE ]

please show me where this table is. please.