Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 02:50 PM

Default A moral dilemma re: making someone redundant, or, is my Dad a bastard?

Wasim has worked for my Dad's accountantancy firm for 4 years. He is an extremely nice, religious, taciturn immigrant from Pakistan. He has 3 children, who are late teens or early twenties. His wife does not work, and money is quite tight.

2 years ago my Dad's firm was bought out, and merged into a larger company. This business has been incompetently managed, and is recovering from a dire financial mess. Some weeks ago they looked at their books. Wasim is 57, and thus gets paid (relatively) highly. The senior management, of which my Dad is now a member, decided that he was costing more than he was making, so they were going to make him redundant.

Here is the tricky part. Jan 31 is a major tax deadline in the UK. Every year my Dad busts his gut during January, and he had to turn down an invitation to an amazing wedding in Florida that took place 2 weeks ago. It is a nightmare month for an accountant. He has been working 7 days a week, up to 14 hours a day this past week. My Dad's company did not want Wasim deciding to leave during this month, thus they held back from telling him until today. But tomorrow he leaves for a month in Pakistan, and so he is going to have no time to search for a job.

As a devout capitalist this leaves me in a quandry. From a purely business decision, they probably did the right thing. But from a human perspective, leaving this 57 yr, hard working, sweet man no time to find a new job, when they easily could have, strikes me as cruel.

What say ye?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: A moral dilemma re: making someone redundant, or, is my Dad a bast

very mean, but thats business for you.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: A moral dilemma re: making someone redundant, or, is my Dad a bastard?

teach him poker [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: A moral dilemma re: making someone redundant, or, is my Dad a bastard?

Worse things have happened to people.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:03 PM

Whats this story got to do with your dad being born out of wedlock?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:09 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i would have done something along the lines of offering him 2 months salary to stay through january
Old 01-31-2005, 03:19 PM

The firm is completely unprofessional. Accountants are supposed to be professionals, right? So yes, they are bastards. But Wasim should have seen it coming. If they did this to him, he must have seen they were bastards before. When you work for bastards, bad things happen to you. He will be better off without the job in the long run. Unles he is a bastard and likes it there.

P.S. The most successful capitalists are professional in their dealings with other professionals.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. The most successful capitalists are professional in their dealings with other professionals.

[/ QUOTE ] Very true. Bastard employers create bastard employees. If I worked there and saw them do this to a co-worker I would hate the place and my productivity would decline. I would also start looking for a new job.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:37 PM

This sucks but that's the way it is.

Take note and conduct yourself accordingly.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:38 PM

Include two weeks more of severance pay on his package b/c of the pakistan trip delaying his job search?