Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Help! I am a limit HE fish!

I have not played limit holdem in a while, playing almost strictly NLHE SNGs and NLHE Ring Games as well as Limit Omaha H/L. All of which I am a winning player at -- in SNGs I have a 35% ROI and a 45% ITM score after 300 $20+2 tourneys.

However, as I signed up at Absolute Poker, to take advantage of their 35% deposit bonus I have been absolutely owned at the tables.

I dont want to post beat beat stories, but have often faced TPTK vs flopped set or had TPTK beaten by runner-runner flush or people "chasing the ace to beat say KQ with a flopped Q.

TPTK vs flopped set or TPTK vs overpair I can get away from in NL (most of the time) and I can punish flush and ace chasers with overbets in NL.

What adjustments do you think I need to make in order to not be such of a loser at limit. BTW, I am talking 2/4 and 3/6 tables at Absolute to clear the bonus. What advice would you give a NL player to at least hold his head above water at limit?

Thanks,

Dacrythepug
Old 08-25-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Help! I am a limit HE fish!

Post some hands that gave you trouble and let the experts pick them apart. They may sound harsh sometimes, but it is a small price to pay for the knowledge.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:31 PM

Here is my overpair vs set hand

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB
Old 08-25-2004, 03:35 PM

Here is TPTK vs overpair

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 08-25-2004, 03:36 PM

Here is TP2TK vs 2 pair

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
Old 08-25-2004, 03:38 PM

Getting a bit cluttered in here. Post these hands in individual threads and you'll probably get better responses.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:41 PM

I wouldn't worry much about Tp/Tk hands and overpair hands. I would guess that you are having trouble knowing how to play draws, when to call them and when to raise with them as they are likely to be far to expensive in a no limit setting, but in limit you will occasionally come into situations where calling for just a backdoor flush draw is correct.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:47 PM

Usually NL guys play way too loose when playing limit. But yea you need to post some hands. If you just want to clear your bonus and don't really care about getting better at limit I would say play tighter and you should clear your bonus just fine.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:29 PM

I don't know if I would have called the AQ in the BB for 3 bets hand unless I knew the raisers to be very loose, but you played it right after that. The other hands looked fine to me too. Probably just bad luck if you ask me.
Also, how much are you actually down? If it's less than 50 Big Bets in 500 hands or so, then it's just a bad run the same as anyone hits. It sounds like it just happened to come for you when you switched games. Remeber, Limit HE is a grinders game, so keep a clear head, get back in there and grind. I'm sure things will turn around.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is my overpair vs set hand

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raised by someone who called 3-bets cold pf...He's either got a set, JJ-AA or j9/97s, unless you have a read that he is both reaaaaally Loose-passive preflop and really aggressive post flop.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (7.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

DANGER will robinson. Turn raise very often represents strength. Possible that QQ is still good, but I have doubts. Gutshot draw probably gives you just enough to call though.

[ QUOTE ]

River: (11.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 15.75 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly bet here. If you are ahead, he'll bet it for you. Unlikely to get called by a worse hand the way he's played it. You probably win here enough to justify a check-call, but you do not have a value bet on the river.

Personally, I probably bet-call the flop, lead out the turn, and am check-calling the river if he pops me again on the turn.