Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Disturbing conversation with GamingClub support

I recently opened the GamingClub software for the first time in ages to see what kind of games they had going nowadays. Unfortunately, I didn't have my account login or password and I couldn't find a forgot-my-password function on the software, so I dialed their US toll-free support phone number off their web site (800-890-3304). A few voice-mail prompts later and I'm chatting with a cheerful Brit (I think.)

I tell him that I would like my login and password e-mailed. He asks if I have my login, I say no. He tells me that he can give me the information over the phone. I say OK. He asks me my first and last name and my address. He then reads me my login and tells me to choose a new password. I choose a new password and log into my account.

To be fair, I don't think I have ever funded my GamingClub account, and perhaps there is a different security procedure for accounts with, like, actual money in them. Maybe they checked my caller ID and made sure it matched up with what they have on record.

Nevertheless, unless someone can reassure me, I'd be leery to play via GamingClub or any of the Prima sites that allow someone to retrieve their login and set a new password simply with a player's first and last name and address.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Disturbing conversation with GamingClub support

Please delete this post or at least delete the part where you explain to everyone how to acquire passwords and logins. (Your post is going to cause more harm than the original security flaw).
Old 10-11-2005, 11:14 PM

It's much better if they correct this poor security than it is to risk bad publicity with the original post.

I now know not to open an account there until this is fixed.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's much better if they correct this poor security than it is to risk bad publicity with the original post.

I now know not to open an account there until this is fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not concerned about bad publicity, I'm concerned about lurkers seeing this post, and then phishing for accounts using the method described, perhaps accounts of other 2+2'ers (I don't think i have an account at this site myself).
Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

Please delete this post or at least delete the part where you explain to everyone how to acquire passwords and logins. (Your post is going to cause more harm than the original security flaw).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it causes more good than harm, as I'll never ever open a TGC account now
Old 10-12-2005, 02:13 AM

I called code poker last night and also talked to a brit. He seemed to be pissed I could not understand him. I told him to slow down, speak slowly, and I could tell he was unhappy. Between the echo from an overseas call and that I live in Kansas (we dont come across a lot of English accents in Kansas) I could not make heads or tails of what he was saying.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently opened the GamingClub software for the first time in ages to see what kind of games they had going nowadays. Unfortunately, I didn't have my account login or password and I couldn't find a forgot-my-password function on the software, so I dialed their US toll-free support phone number off their web site (800-890-3304). A few voice-mail prompts later and I'm chatting with a cheerful Brit (I think.)

I tell him that I would like my login and password e-mailed. He asks if I have my login, I say no. He tells me that he can give me the information over the phone. I say OK. He asks me my first and last name and my address. He then reads me my login and tells me to choose a new password. I choose a new password and log into my account.

To be fair, I don't think I have ever funded my GamingClub account, and perhaps there is a different security procedure for accounts with, like, actual money in them. Maybe they checked my caller ID and made sure it matched up with what they have on record.

Nevertheless, unless someone can reassure me, I'd be leery to play via GamingClub or any of the Prima sites that allow someone to retrieve their login and set a new password simply with a player's first and last name and address.

[/ QUOTE ]

On code they have a "secret question" that I assuming stops this.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Between the echo from an overseas call and that I live in Kansas (we dont come across a lot of English accents in Kansas) I could not make heads or tails of what he was saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn those English people with their English language with their English accents! The nerve of them abusing our language like that!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Between the echo from an overseas call and that I live in Kansas (we dont come across a lot of English accents in Kansas) I could not make heads or tails of what he was saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn those English people with their English language with their English accents! The nerve of them abusing our language like that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry I am stopping posting here regularly once this party thing is decided... hopefully tommorow.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry I am stopping posting here regularly once this party thing is decided... hopefully tommorow.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK OK, I agree, those limeys have funny accents. They do it on purpose too. If you listen to an English band sing, theres no accents in the songs. Makes you wonder eh?