Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Hahahahahahahahahaha (low content)

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($51.25)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($29.25)</font>
UTG+1 ($31.05)
UTG+2 ($32.55)
MP1 ($30.90)
MP2 ($10)
MP3 ($23.90)
CO ($44.20)
Button ($14.20)
SB ($28.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls $.50.

Flop: ($3.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $4</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $28.25 all-in</font>, Hero calls $12.25.

Turn: ($59.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($59.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $37.75

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8s Kh (full house, kings full of eights).
UTG has As Ah (two pair, aces and kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $37.75. </font>

The moral of the story? I'll let others elaborate.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Hahahahahahahahahaha (low content)

[ QUOTE ]
The moral of the story? I'll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold call minraises from the BB with trash? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Or maybe its, "Raise your premium hands preflop like you mean it, or face gruesome suckouts from guys who cold call minraises from the BB with trash."

I'm just not sure which....
Old 06-07-2005, 10:11 AM

the C/R w/ two pair is suprising to me... am i the only one that will never check 2 pair??
Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 AM

I check-raise with big hands from the blinds frequently with more than one or two players in the pot. I don't like betting decent and getting a chain reaction of callers. The check-raise gives away the strength of your hand, yes, but it also gathers money in the pot from bettors/callers and allows you to see the action. I also find two pair to be hard to play most of the time, so many cards pose a potential threat and scare me. I both lead out and check-raise with good hands from the blinds.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:26 AM

I believe the moral of the story is don't min-raise with rockets, ever.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the moral of the story is don't min-raise with rockets, ever.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are way oversimplifying
Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 AM

I'll try again....

"High pocket pairs are potentially vulnerable hands postflop. If you fail to raise them substantially preflop, you fail to define your opponents' hands, which leaves you in the postflop world not knowing if you are way ahead or way behind. Raise it preflop so you know where you are, or face gruesome suckouts from guys who call minraises from the BB with trash."
Old 06-07-2005, 11:12 AM

The moral of the story is that giving great implied odds and then paying off is a quick and easy way to lose your stack.

Raising small with AA preflop is not, in and of itself, a terrible play. If you are an excellent hand reader and play well postflop, you should be able to win a lot more than if you raised bigger preflop and got fewer callers. You will win fewer pots this way but, at the same time, should lose less on the ones you lose and win more on the ones you win. The problem comes when a player plays poorly postflop after raising small preflop. That player will pay off all the speculative trash that called his raise because he does not correctly recognize when he's beat.

There are many players on UB who minraise big hands preflop, then automatically bet the pot on the flop. These are great players to have at your table precisely because they let you put in a small amount preflop when they are ahead but then put in tons more postflop when they might be behind.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 AM

Absolutely. This is something I didn't fully understand until recently. From a recent CardPlayer.com article:

"...Better than one time in 40 will the 5-4 suited outflop the aces (by making two pair or better). If on the flop you’re willing to put in more than 40 times what your preflop bet was, you’re making a sucker play.

So, if you raise the $10 big blind to $50 with your pocket aces, get called by someone with the 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and put $3,000 in the pot on the flop of 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you can’t complain about a bad beat. You just played badly.

You can’t bet small (sell low) and give your opponents the correct implied pot odds. Betting five times the big blind is relatively irrelevant if you are so deep-stacked that you have 500 times the big blind."
full article
Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 AM

Nice article-- thanks for the link.