Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Slow Playing in High Low?

Party Poker (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Villan bets 4 dollars, I am second to act and call, 2 others call.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Villan goes all in for 25 dollars(small stack), I call, the other 2 fold.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Ok hand converter is kind of messed up, I had to edit a few things. The reason I posted this hand is to ask wether slow play in omaha high low is ever right. I thought this was one of the few situations were it was, but it came back to bite me, so I dont know if I played this hand wrong or whats going on. I think this is slow play gone wrong and its my fault for slow playing it, but still just wanna make sure.

Results:
Villan shows [ 6c, Qd, 4s, Qs ] four of a kind, queens.
Hero shows [ 5d, 4c, Ac, 3h ] three of a kind, fives.
Villan wins $74 from the main pot with four of a kind, queens.
There was no qualifying low hand.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Slow Playing in High Low?

Catching a card like that on the turn is a big money-maker for me... many players fall prey to the temptation to slowplay when their hand isn't iron-clad. With that flop, you definitely want to push hard immediately, since anything over a 9 could completely torpedo you.

You only want to slowplay when you have a true monster that isn't vulnerable, and when you think your opponent may catch a card that will give him a strong 2nd-best hand that he'll pay you off with... like this guy did to me yesterday. Amusingly, he elected to *just call* me on the end with his stone-cold nuts, rather than take my entire stack.

$400 PL Omaha Hi/Lo - Saturday, June 04, 21:27:07 EDT 2005
Table Table 36723 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 2
Seat 2: Hero ( $413.7 )
Seat 4: mytmouse2 ( $182.5 )
mytmouse2 posts small blind [$2].
Hero posts big blind [$4].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 9c 9s 5h 3c ]
mytmouse2 calls [$2].
Hero checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qh, Qs, 2d ]
mytmouse2 checks.
Hero checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2h ]
mytmouse2 checks.
Hero checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 9h ]
mytmouse2 bets [$7].
Hero raises [$28.6].
mytmouse2 calls [$21.6].
Hero shows [ 9c, 9s, 5h, 3c ] a full house, Nines full of queens.
mytmouse2 shows [ Qd, Td, 2s, 2c ] four of a kind, twos.
mytmouse2 wins $64.2 from the main pot with four of a kind, twos.
There was no qualifying low hand.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:11 PM

as wintermute said, only slow-play in O8 if you have the stone-cold nuts that can't be beaten. O8 is famous for ruining a straight with a flush, a flush with a boat, a boat with quads. So if you flop three 5's, like you did here, you want to bet/raise and try to drive out anyone who might be thinking of drawing to something better. Three 5's is *not* a strong hand in O8. Usually someone else would be making a boat with those two flopped 5's so you'd be drawing dead from the beginning anyway. Quads aren't all that common but they happen.
For instance yesterday when I was playing live, I was dealt:

As, 3s, Ad, Kh

The flop was 4s, 4x, Qx

The man sitting next to me raised when the betting came to him - I had checked and then called. Turn was:

7s

So - by this time the pot was close to one hundred dollars - I had pot odds to call with 2nd nut low possibility, nut flush possibility (though the board was already paired so I figured that was no good anyway) and the dream of an Ace coming on the river. So for $6.00 more I decided to call to see the river card.
Guess what - an Ace came on the river and I won high. Yes, lucky - but that's O8. The man next to me had flopped a full house, 4's full of Q's. Of course my low was counterfeited, but that's the way it goes!
A typical example of what can happen.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:53 PM

Not sure it's helpful to echo what the others have said but I post another vote for not slow playing with this hand.

This is not a monster. It's a drawing hand both ways.

Dave
Old 06-05-2005, 11:54 PM

I thought I commented on this already, maybe it vanished in the void... even if it pops up later I'll echo the sentiment again, if only to drill it in. With the increased liklihood of drawing to something with a four card hand, you really only want to slow play in Omaha if you have the stone uncounterfeitable nuts to *at least* half the pot. The poor player you want to lure in will probably call you down anyway for the very same reason that they have so many more drawing possibilities.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 AM

I think this is a bad canidate for a slowplay for three reasons.

1) You do have a very big hand, but there is no second best hand for someone to make.

2) With all these draws out, it is very likely you will get a call if you raise the flop; a lot of hands hit that.

3) Make this raise for Shania's sake. If you're betting and raising hands that aren't this good on the flop (as I suspect you are), it is essential you don't give away information by slowrolling your big hands and draws. Maybe the bad small stakes players won't notice but the better players will and you will see yourself getting called precisely when you don't want to be.

Conversely I'm not familiar with your game but if you are the type of player that likes to call with a wide range of mediocre hands on the flop, I wouldn't hate a flop call if it were against more watchful oposition. You do have a big hand (nut low draw+ trips with top kicker + wrap to the wheel) so if you are calling with a lot of crap on the flop it becomes imporant to call with the goods every once in a while so people respect your calls more and cannot put you on a hand. You should realize you are giving up money on this play for reasons 1 and 2, but it might help your long term winrate.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amusingly, he elected to *just call* me on the end with his stone-cold nuts, rather than take my entire stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you might have had QQ! I like villain's play -- I am not going broke with bottom quads [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 10:56 AM

I lost quad 8's on the flop to runner runner q's the other day. I slowplayed the 8's, but I really thought flopped quads was a good candidate for it. Can't imagine you'll lose quads over quads often though. lol

Later,
Rick