Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Difficult hand - all diamond flop, turned a set against the chipleader

I'm not good enough to lay this down. Had a fourth diamond hit, I would have folded. I see someone with just the Ace of diamonds (or two pair) making this play often enough to make a call profitable. At lower buy-ins anyway. Donks with big stacks seem to love to make plays on scary boards; that's usually how the get their chips and that's usually how they lose them. I smell double-up time.

-Gross
Old 12-05-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Difficult hand - all diamond flop, turned a set against the chipleader

Preflop, I call everytime and am happy about it. Flop play is fine. I wouldn't have hated a bet, but it's by no means the default play.

The turn is where I think everything goes wrong. I HATE that raise. I don't think you get any kind of decent value from that raise and you may be "protecting" a hand that's already behind. You could've even lost your chance at seeing the river pair the board, which is where the real payday lies. If you want value, check here to control the pot size and bet/call a bet on a blank river. If he even happens to have a lone diamond and hits his 18% shot on the river, you can't lose much. And you never would've won much. Don't make things so hard on yourself with the turn raise.

On the river, you really look beat here to me. I would've called off all my chips here at times in the past, but now I find a fold rather easily.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Difficult hand - all diamond flop, turned a set against the chiple

I don't see why you would fold this preflop. Hitting a set can allow you to double up against a donkey minraise. I call every time and play for set value. With this action I'm folding the river.