Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Defence Against The Continuation Bet

How do you deal with the continuation bet (preflop raiser bets the flop)? Particularly if holding say a mid pocket pair and the flop is low and you suspect the opponent has overcards. Do you just call or reraise? Does it depend on your read of the opponent? What type of opponent do you check raise? Is it better to checkraise with some kind of a draw like a suited connector that has paired? Is it +ve EV to even ask the question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Defence Against The Continuation Bet

I generally checkraise him if I'm relatively sure the flop missed him. Then I lead the turn if I'm called...if he plays back at me on the turn, I know he's got an overpair and i'm out unless I have a set or two pair, in which case I push. Also, the first time you pull this play, make sure you have a strong hand, it makes your future plays more ominous.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Doesn't the opponent HAVE to have overcards? Or unpaired cards? I'm pretty sure the continuation bet is without improvement, or a hand. You have to be the preflop raiser, have nobody else bet before you, and completely miss the flop.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:05 AM

OOP, usually check-call and lead the turn for 2/3 pot if I'm sure it's a continuation bet. Depends on opponent though. With 6 outs to an over I'm not too concerned.

In position, raise it up, min + 50%.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:08 AM

it depends on preflop raiser's stack size.

if its low, I just lead out. if its deep, I check raise the flop. if its really deep, I check call the flop, lead the turn.

and of course play all big hands the same, etc, etc...
Old 06-20-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and of course play all big hands the same, etc, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
At what stakes do you think your opponents start to pay enough attention and understand enough about the game to make this necessary?

I just think I can make far more money by making smaller bets when I'm probing and making larger bets when I want to protect my hand, betting amounts that I'm sure will get called when I'm ahead etc... In itself, this is very predictable and I'm sure a good player wouldn't have much trouble figuring out my betting patterns. So at what level does this become dangerous in your opinion?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At what stakes do you think your opponents start to pay enough attention and understand enough about the game to make this necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an abundant sea of fish in $400 NL on Stars. Lots of horrible players. Absolutely basic ABC poker can crush that game. I haven't watched much $600 NL, but I hear it's not tons better. Just lots of strong regulars.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is an abundant sea of fish in $400 NL on Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]
It'll probably take me two more years to get that high, so I guess I don't have to worry about it right now [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think I can make far more money by making smaller bets when I'm probing and making larger bets when I want to protect my hand, betting amounts that I'm sure will get called when I'm ahead etc

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like i can get away with this at 100NL on party. lots of multitablers there too so they definitely dont notice.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:48 AM

I don't play high enough nor long enough at 1table to make most metagame considerations.

I'm just talking in theory.