Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Do I need to follow this through?

Great table, all loose passive except for villian in this hand who was the only other TAG. We had been avoiding each other up to this point.

My question is, do you think I need to follow up on the river or is a check behind here fine? All comments on other streets always appreciated.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero
Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Do I need to follow this through?

TAG will be getting over 8:1 to call your river bet. Villian calls with any pair, folds 99% of his worse hands, and ck raises with hands that beat us. So, ck behind.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:31 PM

what's with the 3bet on the flop? You don't have a great hand you know.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:31 PM

Check behind the river. If he has a hand, he's not folding after check-calling the turn. You beat missed draws.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:39 PM

I would check the turn. You 3 bet for the free card, take it. If he bets the river, I might call UI, depending on what the turn and river brought. That's if he's been taking a lot of shots at you, of course.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:49 PM

On the flop you're putting BB on a bluff raise(i.e. poor attempt to make you fold your hand as he assumes your blind stealing) right?

Your river = Check behind, I had a hand today where i thought "ah feck it, bet it" Got raised and screwed royally. This is a check behind for sure.

as ssh says "Value bet relentlessly vs loose guys" but this dude isn't so... Screw that.

Although wheter he'll fold a 8 or lower PP to a river bet(WE REALLY DONT WANT A SHOWDOWN IMO) is debateable.

whats his WTSD/W$SD?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Why did you 3-bet the flop? I think you can call the bet and fold turn UI. You might even be able to fold to the flop c/r getting 7:1. Reverse domination and reverse implied odds make your hand real bogus. Your opponent having T9, T8, A9, A8, 67, are real concerns here. He could have JT here also but I think the times he has this doesn't make up for the other dominated distribution. Best case scenario this is a little more than break-even call. I think this is a flop fold.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:12 PM

I would check behind.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you 3-bet the flop? I think you can call the bet and fold turn UI. You might even be able to fold to the flop c/r getting 7:1. Reverse domination and reverse implied odds make your hand real bogus. Your opponent having T9, T8, A9, A8, 67, are real concerns here. He could have JT here also but I think the times he has this doesn't make up for the other dominated distribution. Best case scenario this is a little more than break-even call. I think this is a flop fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that when general basic TAG's checkraise you on the flop in this situation, they're just trying to pressure you into folding. If he had a hand he probably wouldn't want me to fold. I thought this was him having a go at me with an inferior hand. I didn't like the idea of calling as that loses me the initative, plus I think I stand a good chance of having the best hand here.
If every time I raise his blind and lead the flop and he does this to me and I fold, then I think that I'm giving up too much. I wouldn't do this with every hand but I felt that I was being played with here and I wanted to send a message that I wasn't going to stand for it.
I bet the turn because I didn't want to give him the free card if he was on a draw or he was betting air.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If every time I raise his blind and lead the flop and he does this to me and I fold, then I think that I'm giving up too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

no one said to fold every time, it depends a whole lot on your hand and the board.