Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 06:46 PM

Default 2/4 Value bet this river?

Party 2-4 10-handed. UTG is pretty aggressive, other two in hand are typical loose-passive party players.

Hero is BB and dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG raises, 1 fold, MP1 calls, folds to CO, CO calls, folded to hero, hero calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG bets, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero raises, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO folds

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero?

thanks for listening.
-jazz
Old 11-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Value bet this river?

Bet/fold.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:56 PM

I agree with a bet-fold in this circumstance, it's much more clear cut than in other instances where this play in sometimes (wrongly imo) suggested.

edit: yes, yes, bet the flop! I didn't see this the first time around.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:11 PM

Bet the flop. Checkraising only bloats the pot and gives everyone odds to call the turn.

B/F river.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a bad advice. Yes you are beaten, for nearly sure.
But you have a pod 18 times your call. You cant be sure 94%, that you are beaten!

you have to think between check/call and bet/call. MP will not raise, maybe sometimes if he has the straight or a set, but not often if he is a standard 2/4 party player. So you have only countable chances to get a raise of UTG. He is aggressive. So without more reads he maybe bluffs 2-5% more often than a standard-player in this situation. This is more than enough for a call.

If you bet the river, because you think you have the best hand you have to call a raise, even if you dint think to have a chance to bring this pot home. (you can find this sentence in SSH and some posts of Ed here in this forums. Maybe not word for word, but with the same content)

*edit*
btw
I like your style. This check/raise holds 2 or maybe all 3 opponents with very possibly inferior hands in this pot, like some fat, juicy flys in the net of a spider. It is nearly sure, that 2 made a small mistake preflop to call you with inferior hands. Now you can push this mistake with jammin and rammin.
Yes they draw you out, if they stay in, but they put money in a pot, with less chances to win, than you have. It is a big mistake, if you dont let them pay any cent they have, if they want to pay =)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:17 PM

i would probably just bet out on the flop. UTG might raise with overs to clear the field and buy him "outs", which helps you moreso. Check/raising just serves to not protect your vulnerable hand by making the pot bigger and giving people odds to draw out on you. check calling puts just lets the raiser have control of the hand with better position than you. Im not sure why you dont want to value bet the river. what are you afraid of? UTG would have probably (most definately) 3 bet with an overpair and may call with overs. MP1 probably has a crappy pair that will pay you off. Not betting will cost you 1-2 bets.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:15 PM

Flop-Lead out.

River-Bet/fold.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:26 PM

I'd focus more on the flop. You MUST bet the flop so UTG can raise and blow the field away. Since he's aggressive I would 3bet and call down further bets if it gets HU.

River, well I think you should bet I don't think anyone has a 4 or a 2 and you would have heard from two pair or overpair before.
I don't know what to do if raised. Probably fold.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:17 PM

It's a good question about this river. UTG may have TT/JJ and fear that you have some suspicious two pair since you were in the blind. But he probably would have 3-bet the flop with these hands.

UTG will have AK a lot of the time, chasing his dubious 6 outs and your hand is good and will get called by worse hands. So I think bet and fold to a raise is appropriate here.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a bad advice. Yes you are beaten, for nearly sure.
But you have a pod 18 times your call. You cant be sure 94%, that you are beaten!

you have to think between check/call and bet/call. MP will not raise, maybe sometimes if he has the straight or a set, but not often if he is a standard 2/4 party player. So you have only countable chances to get a raise of UTG. He is aggressive. So without more reads he maybe bluffs 2-5% more often than a standard-player in this situation. This is more than enough for a call.

If you bet the river, because you think you have the best hand you have to call a raise, even if you dint think to have a chance to bring this pot home. (you can find this sentence in SSH and some posts of Ed here in this forums. Maybe not word for word, but with the same content)

*edit*
btw
I like your style. This check/raise holds 2 or maybe all 3 opponents with very possibly inferior hands in this pot, like some fat, juicy flys in the net of a spider. It is nearly sure, that 2 made a small mistake preflop to call you with inferior hands. Now you can push this mistake with jammin and rammin.
Yes they draw you out, if they stay in, but they put money in a pot, with less chances to win, than you have. It is a big mistake, if you dont let them pay any cent they have, if they want to pay =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sincerely, rethink everything.