Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Tofu - Flavor\'s Enemy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dannon Frusions

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how healthy these things can be. They have high-fructose corn syrup in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I think some of the good-for-you stuff in them might offset that.

Regardless, I've been eating a lot more yogurt now, instead of the Frusions.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You would definitely enjoy dishes like...korean spicy hot pot soups filled with lots of tofu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Called Soon Dubu Jigae, this is probably one of my favorite Korean foods. Spicy with lots of tofu in it. It looks spicy enough to burn a hole through flesh (though it's not as spicy as it looks). But when made right it is [censored] fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That stuff rocks!

yummy!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:50 PM

Vegetarian here! Tofu eater to your rescue.

First rule of eating healthier = start with what you know. Take the things you know you like and cook them with less fat and less sodium.

Then, when you start getting adventurous, don't go crazy and try to make your own fake meat products. The reason those sausages and the other stuff sells so weell is because it's damn hard to make comparable stuff on your own. They have some secret sauce or something, I swear.

Now, about tofu. Tofu is created much like cheese and comes in many consistencies, much like cheese. That watery stuff is just that, water. Dump it out. But if you ever have left over uncooked tofu, store it in purified water.

Sounds like you didn't get extra firm tofu and maybe you didn't let the mix sit long enough or in a cool enough room. I often put a mix like that to sit in the fridge. The fridge will suck out some of the moisture and make it more of a solid that you can form into patties.

good luck
Old 11-18-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First rule of eating healthier = start with what you know. Take the things you know you like and cook them with less fat and less sodium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and just as delicious... I'm surprised at how much cheese I used to eat (especially on sandwiches). Now I don't really miss it at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, about tofu. Tofu is created much like cheese and comes in many consistencies, much like cheese. That watery stuff is just that, water. Dump it out. But if you ever have left over uncooked tofu, store it in purified water.

Sounds like you didn't get extra firm tofu and maybe you didn't let the mix sit long enough or in a cool enough room. I often put a mix like that to sit in the fridge. The fridge will suck out some of the moisture and make it more of a solid that you can form into patties.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the firm stuff, 'cause the gyro mix requested firm. I will try "extra firm" in the future and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.