Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Sissy play?

I had planned on limping, but it was folded to me so I open-raised instead. My read on the button was competent or better (hadn't been playing long enough to know more, but he wasn't a fish).

Is folding to the flop bet with the Ace and flush draw a big mistake? With the pot small and heads-up, I figured it was mor likely he had an Ace then a draw.

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero raises, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 2.75 BB, won by Button.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 0.50 BB, overbet by Button.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Button wins 3.25 BB. </font>
Old 03-15-2004, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Sissy play?

Bet the flop. Played WAY too passive -- you're the preflop raiser -- maintain the aggression against a single opponent. If you check you are BEGGING to get bluffed out of the pot.

You should probably be raising this hand most of the time preflop, as well. Good decision there.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:59 AM

It might be a leak in my game, but I would bet the flop here the vast majority of the time. I would throw out a bet and if he calls or raises I would assume he's got me beat, but if he doesn't have an Ace and is semi-rational I think there's a good chance he'll fold up shop. (This is assuming he doesn't get fancy or tricky with you though, which is always a possibility.)

If you had position on him, on the other hand, checking to take off a free card wouldn't be as bad, other than the fact that you might get bluffed out by a worse hand if you don't improve on the turn. Since you don't have the luxury of position though, I would put in a bet on the flop and see how it goes from there.

Old 03-15-2004, 01:04 AM

A check raise on the flop would have told you if he had something. If you improved on the turn you could play the hand. The check was wrong unless you wanted to raise a bet.