Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 11:22 PM

Default What do Christians think about this...

The Bagavhad Gita, (a Hindu text) Krishna (God) articulates in one section that it is better to pray to a false idol in a true spirit than to worship the true God in a false spirit.

Kierkegaard says almost the exact same thing in his "Concluding Unscientific Postscript."

I take 'false spirit' to signify a lack of devotion or sincerity. Conversely, a true spirit would entail sincere devotion.

Kierkegaard is a Christian. Is this idea unique among Christians? Does it contradict Jesus' teachings?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: What do Christians think about this...

Matthew chapter 6 tells about how Jesus deems people who have faith for 'the wrong reasons'.

As for praying to false idols, that would sound like a breach of the commandments.

But the whole 'idol' discussion is also a boiling point between various christian viewpoints as far as I have understood, so I guess it is debatable among theists what a true idol is/should be.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: What do Christians think about this...

[ QUOTE ]
it is better to pray to a false idol in a true spirit than to worship the true God in a false spirit.

I take 'false spirit' to signify a lack of devotion or sincerity. Conversely, a true spirit would entail sincere devotion.

Kierkegaard is a Christian. Is this idea unique among Christians? Does it contradict Jesus' teachings?

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea is not Christian. Praying to a false idol breaks the second commandment. Not a good.

Praying to the true and living God without sincere devotion... Hmm. Does that mean that you do not believe in the God you are praying to? Does it mean that you are distracted and are not praying fervently? I'd say that if it's the former then your prayer is useless. If the latter, it seems clear to me that that does not rise to the level of idolatry.