Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 PM

Default AK... too strong!?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
Old 06-19-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: AK... too strong!?

Yeah. I'd go into calldown mode after he leads the turn.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:43 PM

I'm not capping the flop. You're splitting at best. I doubt JJ will 3-bet you.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:44 PM

I like just calling the flop bet. It might be ok to raise but I really don't like capping. If I did raise I would just call when he 3 bets.

He leads out again on the turn, he has convinced me he has something. And since it was capped preflop that should be trips or we are tied, so putting more money in the pot than I have to does not seem right. Unless you had a read on him that would make you think otherwise.

I just call his turn bet.

I call the river bet also, if he checks the river to me I don't bet the river. I just want to showdown incase we are tied. Good chance he is ahead though.

But villian will show ATo and piss us all off I fear. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 08:51 PM

The fact that BB is on a blind defense here makes me think he might get a little more aggressive with less hand. If he was on a monster, wouldn't he be c/ring the turn a good amount of the time here instead of 3-betting?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:52 PM

I dont think that you needed to cap PF.

On the flop you could easily be behind to AA,KK or QQ. But then you could be ahead of JJ or TT, or chopping with AK.

I think your best line is to call down from the flop. That saves you bets if you are behind.

And I think that if you had been ahead of BB, that he would probably have folded to a raise earlier in the hand. Either on the flop or the turn.

Calling down was probably the least expensive way to get to a showdown, and also the least likely way to scare your opponent off if you had the best hand.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:56 PM

Yeah, I was using the blind steal situation to justify not using wa/wb here too. But I think you're probably right Fantam.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think that you needed to cap PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, especially considering BB's restealing range here.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:58 PM

Do you have a read on the BB? You really need to ask yourself what 3betting hand I'm ahead of here. AA has you drawing to 2 outs. QQ has you crushed. You're chopping w/AK. I can't see TT-JJ playing the flop this way. I think after the flop 3bet, you should call down.

-Jaran
Old 06-19-2005, 09:04 PM

Against an unknown I would probably start calling down on the turn. Some opponents play much more aggressively in blind defense. But unless villain is a maniac I don't see many hands he could have that we beat. Since we have the A of club, it's unlikely he's on a flush draw, unless he has JTs for the straight and flush draw. Would he 3 bet that in blind defense though?

I think him 3 betting the flop, and leading out after hero capped, screams AK or better.