Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Everything you need to know about microlimit poker

[ QUOTE ]
7) You have an Overpair/TP. Call down the turn check-raise

[/ QUOTE ]

at 1/2 and lower I think you'd prob have a higher wr if you folded to most turn c/r with TP, and a fair amount with an overpair(overpairs improve vs 2pair much more often) unless you are getting a very nice price like 11/2 .. I just don't think you see a worse hand 25% of the time in most situations

as you move up you see more bluffraise on the turn, weak pairs popping you as well .. but at 1/2 its pretty rare

of course pay attention to the players and get good reads, and use them to help the decision
Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's 10 lines, not 9. ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]
I added the 10th. I didn't edit the intro to reflect that though.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I agree that this one is by far the closest, set. I advocated a calldown because it seems like the vast majority of questions of this nature are against an unknown, which makes me usually want to pay off. Plus IMO it's better to have a calldown as the baseline for a newer player learning to make good folds rather than vice versa. Since it's much more situation-dependent, it may not belong on this list though.

Interestingly enough, I had a really strong feeling that someone was going to bring that one up. And I was also pretty sure it was either going to be you or Aaron :P
Old 12-08-2005, 03:53 PM

great post Redd.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree that this one is by far the closest, set. I advocated a calldown because it seems like the vast majority of questions of this nature are against an unknown, which makes me usually want to pay off. Plus IMO it's better to have a calldown as the baseline for a newer player learning to make good folds rather than vice versa. Since it's much more situation-dependent, it may not belong on this list though.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok couple things

I play a lot at 3/6, 5/10 where turn raises are common occurences, but still manage a lot more 1/2 6max, 2/4 full than I prob should .. because the limits are relaxing, partly because the money factor is not there, a terrible day at 1/2 is just a meh day at 5/10, and the other reason is because I don't get faced with tough decisions on the turn very often.

the majority of the time its Raise PF, bet, bet, bet or Raise PF bet, bet, check .. and since the average player tends to be weak/passive getting popped on the turn is usually a bad thing, especially since c/call, c/r is the preferred line for a set by a donkey.

Overpairs and TP have a couple distinct differences

1. Overpairs will almost always have more outs vs 2pair, 8outs is common, TP will often have just 3outs, occasionally 6 or 9

2. Overpairs always have 2outs vs a set, TP is drawing dead

as for wanting to payoff and see, let the donkeys do that for you, calldown if you are getting a good price or feel that you are being targeted, but generally you should have a decent feel for the player that is raising you on the turn, and should adjust accordingly. players bounce around too much to want to make a -EV call for a read, since there are too many ppl at these limits, and they tend to not stay at the table for long periods of time

I feel like I have a bunch more to say but can't figure out how to word it a way I like, I'll think about it more, and prob add on later tonight
Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

7) You have an Overpair/TP. Call down the turn check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too have issues with this statement. While in many cases this is totally appropriate in MANY case it's not and I'm the KING of making great calldowns!

11. Turn actions tend to reveal the truth!

Getting raised or check-raised on the turn is a very bad thing unless you have a monster. You need a solid reason for continuing. This means...
1. The pot is HU and you have a read of LAG, maniac or unpredicatble tricky.
2. Good pot odds/ mplied odds to justify trying to draw out or hang onto the slim chance you have the best hand.
3. The turn card created a few DRAWS that could provide a good semi-bluff opportunity to an otherwise solid player.
4. You turn bet looked like a positional bluff/ or desperate continuation bet and a the player has a hand that can beat overcards but not your hand.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My past year's worth of poker study summed up in 9 lines:

1) Fold preflop.
2) Raise preflop.
3) Don't cold-call that.
4) No, don't check-raise the flop because you don't know who will be betting.
5) No, don't check-behind the flop because the pot is too big. This is a serious misapplication of the 'waiting until the turn' thing.
6) Just because the flush draws will always call doesn't mean you shouldn't get in bets with the best of it.
7) You have an Overpair/TP. Call down the turn check-raise.
8) Don't value-bet your flush draw on the turn with that many people. You're not going to get enough callers or fold equity.
9) YES, value-bet the river.
10) No, don't slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have to say is thanks to all of you posters who managed to teach me these things in the few short months I've been here. (ok, more like the past 10 months) When I first read SSHE, the only things I got out of it were...1,2,3 and 10. 8 I still have trouble with, but I've learned the other 5 from here.

Wow, that's like 50% of all my poker knowledge comming from here. Good stuff

Crovax
Old 12-08-2005, 08:08 PM

11. (or 12 or whatever # we're on now) Learn to play your marginal hands well. Don't worry about extracting the most from monsters.

-Jaran
Old 12-08-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
11. (or 12 or whatever # we're on now) Learn to play your marginal hands well. Don't worry about extracting the most from monsters.

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is also really good. And in hindsight, I agree with droolie and set that the turn call-down is too situation-dependent to be advocating to people who don't know better. I just typed this up in a few hasty minutes at work, but it would actually be cool to see a final copy of this list if some more people chimed in good ones to add.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:36 PM

Don't fold here, cold call you are getting 5-1 with your pocket pair.