Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 06:31 PM

Default flop evaluation in book: small stakes hold \'em

Hi,
I am just working my way through "Small Stakes Hold 'em" and would like to know more about the hand evaluation after the flop:
a) Is there a rating system by which the hands are evaluated? For example: Hand A and hand B are both rated "strong hand", but hand A is better than hand B. Why is that so?
b) Are these hand ratings valid for small stakes only? I could imagine that drawing hands are less valueable in higher limits with less opponents.
c) Are there other factors not mentioned in the book influencing the hand value (i.e. position)?

Thanks for your time!
Thrakkar
Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: flop evaluation in book: small stakes hold \'em

miller is specfically NOT for tougher games, and tougher games you are correct that draws aren't as big a factor.

i don't think miller has a flop evaluation system (well, maybe # of players seeing flop, action before the flop, texture of flop).

the one i can never figure out is when i hit low or medium pair. i am 8 to 1 (1 in 9) to hit two pair or 3 of a kind on turn, but it seems like the card never hits and more importantly, the two pairs never seem to hold up if they hit. just my observations, but i think those outs must be heavily discounted.

negreanu tells beginners to "fit or fold" on the flop and i think that's correct at the low limits. at higher limits, position can be played more aggressively.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the one i can never figure out is when i hit low or medium pair. i am 8 to 1 (1 in 9) to hit two pair or 3 of a kind on turn, but it seems like the card never hits and more importantly, the two pairs never seem to hold up if they hit. just my observations, but i think those outs must be heavily discounted.

[/ QUOTE ]
your analysis is correct here. hitting one pair which is not necessarily the best pair gives you 5 remaining outs to improve - however, if there is a straight for flush draw on the board, then it's almost definitely not worth staying in, epsecially if there are multiple opponents still to call (or even raise after you). you're also in big trouble if a high pair flops on the board and you have the kicker which is LOWER than the pair. if your kicker is higher than the board pair, you can probably take one card off for a top boat.

in late position where other players show weakness and a ragged board, then you can semi-bluff or sometimes call to close betting if you have decent pot odds.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:54 PM

Thanks for your quick reply!

Since I am new to this forum please allow this question: Do the authors read these postings any reply to questions regarding their books? Or is there a better way to ask them a question regarding their writing?

Oh, by the way: How do you decide how to go on after the flop? Do you think in terms of "Monster", "Strong Hand", etc.?

Greetings!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:06 PM

i think the book covers this really well, as does king yao in another book.

before flop = stronger cards to play early

only really the blinds get you into tricky situations.

but you generally want to have top pair-good kicker (no trouble on board) or good draw on the flop. 2nd pairs generally need some good draws.

don't forget SSHE assumes quite a few people on flop, and then probably at least 2 others on turn (makes continuation bets much harder).
Old 12-05-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your quick reply!

Since I am new to this forum please allow this question: Do the authors read these postings any reply to questions regarding their books? Or is there a better way to ask them a question regarding their writing?

Oh, by the way: How do you decide how to go on after the flop? Do you think in terms of "Monster", "Strong Hand", etc.?

Greetings!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the 2+2 authors sometimes (not always) respond to queries about their books. (Occasionally non-2+2 authors do as well.) You can use the (admittedly cumbersome) search feature to search for poster name/subject to find some of these answers. Also you can send a 2+2 author (or indeed any registered member) a PM, which again may or may not be answered.

LOL