Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 12:51 AM

Default overpair OOP vs strange player

6 handed 3 6 nl on party. Hero has $320. Hero is BB and Villain is Button.

Relivant read. Villain just doubled hero up last orbit after someone raised to 20, villain called, button called, hero pushed from SB for 140 with JJ, and villain called with Q10s (hence why I call him a strange player).

Hand in question. Folded to villain who makes it 20. Sb calls, hero calls with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Sb checks, hero bets out 50, villain raises to 145, folded back to hero.

My bet of 50 on the flop was to see where I was in the hand, and to protect my strong holding. If he has overcards, he is either going to call or fold. If he has overpair or a set, he is going to protect his hand with that sort of raise. If he raised with garbage and hit that flop for two pair, then he would also put in this sort of raise. However, this is assuming that the player plays normally, which he doesn't based on his call with Q10s. I have no idea what to do here.

Maybe I should've just check raised all in and let the dice roll.

At this point in the hand though, what should I do. I think there are three options. 1. Fold. 2. Reraise all in. 3. Call with the intention of pushing on the turn no matter what hits (except an 8 which would give me a straight).
Old 11-03-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: overpair OOP vs strange player

Considering villian was probably trying to steal the blinds and your read that he is "strange" or rather somewhat fishy...then this is a pretty standard push.

-M
Old 11-03-2005, 12:06 PM

puuuuuuushhhhhhhh'em.....i see him holding 88 A8 9-8, something like that.....
Old 11-03-2005, 12:09 PM

Stick it in... take that however you like
Old 11-03-2005, 03:13 PM

Meh, I think folding is ok. I feel like he has an overpair pretty often. Just becuase he played a strange hand doesnt mean when he gets agressive like this he's weird.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hero pushed from SB for 140

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you playing so short?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:11 PM

A check/raise allin is very good if you are sure he will bet (and most players will here). Your stack is not all that huge, you may be ahead and take it down, you certainly have outs if you are not, he may call with A9 or A8 or something else that you beat.