Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Clarification needed

I am curious if you guys that want to do this have worked a significant amount of time in a bar and/or restaurant?

if I even thought I might want to one day open a bar/rest, I would immediately get a job in a bar, even if I had a day job. I worked in many restaurants as a dishwasher and then as a line cook when I was younger, and many more bars as a musician. just from that experience alone I know I never would want to do something like own a bar/rest.

my wife on the other hand has never worked in one, and peridoically says stuff like "wouldn't it be fun to open a place?". anyways, I think having experience working most different jobs in the kind of place you want to open is a prerequisite for even thinking about it. work as a barback, work as a bartender, and then make an informed decision. note that everyone in this thread that has experience working in a bar/rest wouldn't want to open one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

--turnipmonster
Old 08-26-2005, 10:37 AM

Ive had a lot of experience, I worked as a bus boy, a door man, a bartender, and I didnt really seem to mind it, as much as other things I could have been doing.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:42 AM

I enjoyed my time working in restaurants a lot, I just wouldn't want to have been in the owner's shoes.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh ya, most people use their diplome for dog paper. But Im going for a degree in IT, BS-information systems security. I had a contract job, at a huge co-lo downtown, for experience, and after playing poker for a living, there is just no way I could EVER EVER work for someone in an office type enviroment, Im just way to social, and talented at selling to do that. This sales/tech position I have now is great, but Id like to keep going with this, and invest hte money I make in a bar, as t odo both.

[/ QUOTE ]

does your uncle own a franchise? he has 30?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Who has any experience in the bar/restaurant biz?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i've learned a rough guesstimate of failure rate of restaurants/bars is around 85 - 90% which is why you hear alot of stories of failure ..so basically you truly need to be an entreprenuer risk it all and reap the benefits or risk and fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management.

[/ QUOTE ]

i always thought this was a joke, and didnt actually exist.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Its not really a franchise, although you can pay a million bucks just for use of the name and franchise it, although i think only 1 or 2 have. They started off with 1 or 2 restuarants in hte early 80s, and it developed into a 30+ chain of restaurants throughout the midwest.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:03 AM

Everyone is talking about stealing but have you ever heard of security cameras ? Geez. This is the 00's. Just get a really good security system. I think what the right idea and good vision, you could make it. Kind of like poker. 10 people will sit down at a table but they won't all be winners. If you have the drive to succeed, you can do it. Didn't Trump file bankruptcy a few times before becoming rich ?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is talking about stealing but have you ever heard of security cameras ? Geez. This is the 00's. Just get a really good security system. I think what the right idea and good vision, you could make it. Kind of like poker. 10 people will sit down at a table but they won't all be winners. If you have the drive to succeed, you can do it. Didn't Trump file bankruptcy a few times before becoming rich ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly, I was wondering why the stealng aspect was such a big deal. My company installs security cameras, that are linked to the cash register, for this purpose. It takes a snap shot of whatever the cashier is ringing up, and time stamps it, and then all you have to do is cross-reference what was poured with the other camera etc. Software pretty much does all the work, and compares, then lets you know if something is wrong.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:40 AM

If you're going to keep inventory of every burger and every fry, you'll go nuts long before you go broke.

There's tons of things to steal besides money. And don't forget that caching the thief doesn't always mean the goods are recoverable, or worth recovering.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:48 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Didn't Trump file bankruptcy a few times before becoming rich ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Donald Trump also had a $300M head start, and the connections of Papa Trump.