Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 PM

Default AK hand ?? in multi satelite

set up....
re-buy/add-on satelite. 292 players with 161 addons and 614 rebuys. 15 entries pd. 55 players left, blinds 600-1200 75 ante.

I have $40K...the average is around 30K. Big stack at my table with $125K (LAG)...hes been a bully, and willing to gamble.
I'm UTG with AK.

I raise to $3600 (my standard raise)...folded to bigstack (on the button) who reraises to $7200....folded back to me.....push or fold situation IMO???.
He has shown a willingness to gamble (A9s, QJs all ins preflop against smaller stacks) so my thinking is Push.

Let me know some of your thoughts.....thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: AK hand ?? in multi satelite

You are way off on this one. It is between raise or call. And if he is a lag like you say, and IS willing to gamble, you are pushing. If he was a normal player, a raise to about 19k would be in order here.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:51 PM

With your read a push is definantly warranted...

without a read I don't really like a raise to 19k, do we call if he pushes? what about a flat call and we whiff the flop? a little smaller raise gets the same job done and I think it gets the same point across, maybe to say 14k.. one that doesn't fully commit us.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:51 PM

counter-inuitive check.

Put half your stack in with ak from ep, vs a reraise?

What's the plan for later action.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:09 PM

push, folding is way wrong vs his range, and calling out of position is a mistake with AK.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:00 AM

I like the push here vs. almost any player, and especially vs. this guy given your read. Given his proclivities, yeah, he might call your all-in with a mid/low pocket pair, but then you've got a 46/54 situation, which ain't that bad.

And if he doesn't have a PP, which is more likely? Wouldn't you like to be a 60:40 favorite vs. KJ/A9/QJ or something to double up at this stage of the tournament? Are you in it to win it?

Crooked
Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 AM

that was my thinking (crooked paul)....I dont understand some of the other posts though. I never checked, I raised 3*'s the BB from UTG (which had been my standard raise at this point)
This leaves me room to get away from my hand if a tight passive player suddenly comes alive (IMO)

He re-raised me to 7200.

My thinking is this. He is aggressive, and will bet out the flop regardless. I very well might have him dominated (he might hold A10,AJ,AQ or less)
since I am OUT OF POSITION, I think its better to fold or raise.
I am still far enough out from the money (only 15 players get a seat) that I need to play (I think).

hope this clarified my thinking, and I hope I understood some of the other posts....not sure
Old 04-12-2005, 12:14 PM

i think it's a push against a lag bigstack, minreraises make me wary- but only from the right player.

gambool.