Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 05:37 AM

Default Limit or No Limit?

If a player wants to play mainly Low Limit No Limit Hold Em cash games, SNG's, and tournies, should the player first learn the in's and outs of limit hold em or just grasp the basics?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Limit or No Limit?

I'd advise learning limit first.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:57 AM

See This Thread

Read down a bit.

Hey, flapgreen, this is why it's best to start a new thread. :-)

Regards,

T
Old 12-29-2004, 12:26 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2004, 04:08 PM

It seems like too many people are willing to go all the way to the river in limit because they are not really risking that much. You can't chase bad hands off as much in limit, and it seems like no limit causes you to use more skill as a result. Is this a wrong impression?
Old 12-30-2004, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like too many people are willing to go all the way to the river in limit because they are not really risking that much. You can't chase bad hands off as much in limit, and it seems like no limit causes you to use more skill as a result. Is this a wrong impression?

[/ QUOTE ]

You make money from people who chase all the way. Honest you do. Unless you're a chaser too, then you're guilty of the same mistake. You have to punish the chasers.

Regards,

T
Old 12-30-2004, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You want the momos to draw to their two outs and pay you off on the river. The occasional bad beat is the price you pay for this.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, flapgreen, this is why it's best to start a new thread. :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I volunteer flapgreen for this item in the FAQ. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, learning limit to learn no-limit has always struck me as a bit like learning the C programming language in order to master C++. I've heard people say it's a good way to progress, but having dabbled in both i'm not really convinced the intermediate step is necessary.

HOWEVER, you can't lose your bankroll by learning C++ directly, but you can lose your bankroll playing NLHE if you're not ready for it. I guess if i had my heart set on playing NL only, i would probably start by learning to win play money, then learn to win at micro-buy-ins, and finally move up the food chain.

In fact, i plan to do just that, but at a much slower pace because of the time i'm spending doing a similar progression with LHE, Omaha, a little Stud, etc. Hey, i have a short attention span. :-D