Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: miniraising limpers from the BB?

It's bad. If there are any good or even aggressive players, they'll put in a big reraise.

The point of small pp's is to hit it a set. The whole idea is to see a flop cheaply. By doubling the cost for you to see a flop, you're only punishing yourself.

Frankly, I laugh at people who would minraise from the button. Its almost always a sign of a bad player.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen this:

4-5 limpers... button or BB minraises... a few callers; someone pushes, everyone including the minraiser folds. Same with the people who minbet the flop from early position. They're almost always huge fish. They throw a little money out giveing EVERYONE correct odds for any draw and, if anyone has a hand and raises, they fold. So, they just donated charity.

Though I don't want to discourage you from doing it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see your point about doubling the pot size. If find it difficult to get their entire stack if they only have one pair. Decent players don't put their whole stack on the line with one pair especially in multiway pots like that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent players aren't going to be fooled by this. They're only going to profit from it.

I have plenty of notes on people who minraise with small pocket pairs. You can always tell if they hit. So... anytime there are overcards, you can always steal from them with nothing.

I'm telling you... you play like this, you're giving information away to your opponents and you're labeling yourself as a fish.

Make a real raise or no raise at all.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:23 AM

If this is true that aggressive players put in a big reraise after a min raise, I wonder if it would be a good strategy to put in a min raise with aces. Then after they put in a big reraise *pow* come over the top of them.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:35 AM

Simply advertises low to mid pockets IMO. When any halfway decent player pulls this I immediately a) lose respect for them and b) can read their hand like a book and use it against them by pushing them off unimproved pairs or folding to obvious sets with hand I'd otherwise give action with.

If you were at a table where you really thought none of your opponents would pick up on this tell, by all means, go ahead - 90% of the time these silly little raises just get called down by the rest of the table, jucing the pot.