Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Stud8 - The FBI (Full Bring In)

I must admit that I never do this. I don't even think about doing it. I don't see it done very often, either. Obviously, I'm missing out on some strategic advantages by limiting my options.

- Am I missing out on a big thing or a small thing?
- How often do you do this?
- What are some favorable situations for using the full bring-in?
- Is it safe to just think of it as raising in early position?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Stud8 - The FBI (Full Bring In)

Usually the only times Ill do it is if I feel that I have a good chance of stealing the antes (bunch of non threatening cards and I have something really small like a 2,3,4) or if I have a strong hand and I think that there is a good chance that everyone else has hands that they are willing to pay a full bet for (lots of low cards out etc)

Mike
Old 11-28-2005, 03:09 AM

I do this any time that I feel that my hand will play better against a small field & that my hand is strong enough to commit this much.Same as completing in early position after the bring-in.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:43 AM

I do this constantly in the $10/20 Stud 8/b game now. Why, you ask? Because people are so stupid and don't realize that they are paying for a full bet, and come with eight-low razz hands and pairs of tens all day long anyway.

Works pretty well. Also, it gets the 2+2'ers and proficient players to fold their marginal but good hands.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:03 AM

It seems to me that when you regularly FBI it leaves you too open to steal attempts those times that you dont FBI. Id rather disguise my hand than get that extra part of a bet in.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:36 PM

When I play Stud8 it's usually live and I'll frequently bring it in without looking at my other two cards. Is there any merit to doing this? I hadn't really thought about it and it was working well for me.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Since I play 5/10 and lower, a complete bet usually doesn't discourage callers who would have limped. I rarely do it because it gives me more options. For example, if I have kings in the hole, I can fold the hand if 3 or 4 low cards show strength or an ace raises.

I personally use it in only three circumstances:
I represent that I'm steaming when I've taken a rough beat or beats and have a very nice hand, in which case I will cap it. I also might use it if I have a thief with an ace on my immediate right, the board appears otherwise weak, and my hand is pretty good. Lastly in shorthanded situations if I have a big pair or believe I can steal.

A side note, I once saw a player do it with three ducks and get action - what a deceptive play! I personally don't have the balls to do that. What about tournament situations? Could anybody tell me how FBI strategy would differ.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:58 PM

I always just toss the bring-in out there without even looking at my hand. Otherwise you are giving a clear indication of hand quality. What does it mean when I don't make the full bring-in? Clearly I don't have a strong hand. In order to mix it up and disguise this you now have to FBI with some weak hands which is throwing away bets. Furthermore if you make the full bring in someone who was going to complete might not raise. If you are that strong you can let someone else complete and then make it two full bets which is a much stronger play than making a FBI.

The only time I see any merit to doing this is in certain tournament situations.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 PM

could you give some tourney examples, my first guess is that when the limits have risen, you may wish to take the right of first bluff
Old 11-29-2005, 10:45 PM

I noticed that several posts said that it may reveal the nature of your hand by constantly coming in for the full amount, & some said they throw in a chip without looking.Making blind bets certainly keep you from giving away the nature of your hand since you don't know yourself what you have.But you also give up an opportunity to make a decision,& good decision making(hopefully) is where we make our money.I play for about 3 hours almost every day in a 20/40 stud hi/lo. The bring-in is $5 or the full bet is $20 instead.I find that this decision can affect the outcome of the hand greatly,& I would not want to forgo the opportunity to make this decision,myself.