Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Julie vs. Kirsten
Kirsten (Kelly Rowan) 31 34.83%
Julie (Melinda Clark) 58 65.17%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Two others die, or three others die? sorta.

Since nobody wants to kill themselves to save others, I thought this might be better. I'm sure some of you have heard this problem asked before.

Three innocent strangers are tied to a train track. There is a train coming their way that cannot be stopped, and it will kill them.

There is a switch 20 feet away(you were just walking and happened upon this situation) which will switch the tracks so that the train will veer away from these three innocent people onto another track. Thank goodness.

OH NO! OMG! You then realize that there are TWO innocent strangers tied to the other track. So you have a decision to make.

Either do nothing, and let the train kill three innocent people. It'll be like you were never there.

OR quickly sprint over to the switch, switch the tracks, and turn the train in the direction of two innocent people.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Two others die, or three others die? sorta.

are there any hot women attached to these tracks?

Melch
Old 08-14-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either do nothing, and let the train kill three innocent people. It'll be like you were never there.

OR quickly sprint over to the switch, switch the tracks, and turn the train in the direction of two innocent people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect it depends on who the people are. Whether there are any children, any old people, etc. Whether you're likely to get sued...
Old 08-14-2005, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I suspect it depends on who the people are. Whether there are any children, any old people, etc. Whether you're likely to get sued...

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever type of people they are, they are the same on both sides.

You will not be sued or charged with anything.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:12 AM

I picked the 3, but you didn't have to emphasize the " I'll pretend I wasn't there. Or something". Even if I was there and possibly on national television there - i do nothing.

The major Judaic tenet to look to in these cases is the fact that you as a human cannot kill to save another life (or lives). Not only is it not your perogative to decide who is more deserving of life, but additionally in Judaism the prohibition against murder is more stringent than the commandment to save a life.

" we do not choose inaction as a result of our uncertainty, rather we have decided that murder is worse than not saving a person": Lifeboat Ethics
Old 08-16-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I picked the 3, but you didn't have to emphasize the " I'll pretend I wasn't there. Or something". Even if I was there and possibly on national television there - i do nothing.

The major Judaic tenet to look to in these cases is the fact that you as a human cannot kill to save another life (or lives). Not only is it not your perogative to decide who is more deserving of life, but additionally in Judaism the prohibition against murder is more stringent than the commandment to save a life.

" we do not choose inaction as a result of our uncertainty, rather we have decided that murder is worse than not saving a person": Lifeboat Ethics

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I didn't know this.

So, what if the two on the second track were rapists?

What if there were 1,000 on the first track, and one on the second?

I'm assuming you're answer stays the same.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:24 AM

Another alternative ....

arrange for a quantum event (say the decay of a single radioactive atom) to switch the tracks and then enclose the whole thing - radioactive atom, switch and track junction - in a box.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

praise Jesus that I am not jewish. If my faith said something to this effect, i would certainly become an athiest.

fim
Old 08-16-2005, 10:01 AM

Well, you have to consider the possibility of another train being on the other track and stuff like that.

You also have to figure who the people are. Some people are generally worth more than others, and some people are dirtbags.

Still, all in all, I guess I flip the switch.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:44 AM

why should there be any difference between killing and letting die....

Once you are put into the situation, it is your decision to let the three die and therefore, you have taken the lives of three people. It just makes sense that if you could save more people on this earth you would....

seems illogical to do otherwise when faced with such a decision