Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 03:14 PM

Default AK monotone

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.70 BB, between MP2 and Hero.</font>
Old 06-17-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: AK monotone

Looks perfect to me.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:22 PM

I'm tempted to raise the turn and represent more than what I have, and fold to a re-raise. Is this too aggressive?

But going to the showdown calling is probably fine.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:25 PM

I thought about this but I don't think a better hand folds to a turn raise.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:00 PM

I think this one is pretty player dependent. Against a total unknown I would probably call it all the way down, although I would not feel too good about it. I see no point in raising the turn. Geez, I know I am going to get flamed for this but what the hell. There are quite a few players against whom I could probably fold this on the turn and definitely fold this on the river when I did not improve.

A tricky player here who was trying to move you off a hand (and it does look like you have AK in this spot) would go for a checkraise on the flop or turn. This has all the signs of a simple opponent who may even want to go for a checkraise on the turn when he has made his hand but is too afraid that it will somehow get checked through and bets instead. Yes, Party does have crazy players. But unless that is your read on this person, would he really bet out something like KQ or QJ against your likely Ace. And then bet again on the river. I think you are probably up against AQ, QT, QQ, (and possibly a made flush, althugh not likely). Again, this would be a tough laydown to make, but against the right opponent -- a straight forward simple one I think you can. I don't know if that was the opponent you were up against here.

Edit: I would add that even if you had a correct read here as I described above you might want to call down anyway so as not to encourage others to take shots at you in heads-up confrontations. That would really depend on the table though.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:11 PM

Isn't the point of the turn raise to charge a lone spade, not to fold AQ or AT (although you wouldn't mind it). If opponent is such that a hand you are drawing live against if behind won't 3-bet (which seems likely given the 3-flush and your preflop 3-bet), you are better off raising the turn unless opponent is on a total bluff and would have continued and bluffed the river had you just called the turn.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:19 PM

good thought process, Colgin...although I may agree with the others and say raise the turn, fold to a re-raise. check-calling does the same thing I guess, although you lose the opportunity of the guy folding on your raise. Not likely, I know...but I don't see him suddenly waking up with a flush on the turn with that bet...he'd want you to bet and then check-raise you...so yeah...AQ, 10Q...don't think it's QQ...interesting hand, all the same.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:23 PM

Default RESULTS

I thought about raising and folding on the turn, but ended up calling, as I really didn't have a strong enough read on the guy to do otherwise.

He had AQ with the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

you know, sometimes we overthink these hands...sometimes the other guy just has what's most obvious! A-Q was most-obvious here and bingo, that's what he had.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:00 PM

Well let me start out by saying MP2 is open raising so he could be pretty lite like A9s, KTs, etc. The turn bet does come out of left field and this type of bet generally means he has an ace and doesn't want a single spade to draw for free. He could have just picked up a gutshot with KsJx, or AxJs, or you could be pretty screwed. I think I would definitely be tempted to raise this turn because I'm likely still ahead and I'm hoping to punish the single spade/gutshot draw on the turn. If he doesn't 3 bet, you have the option of taking a free showdown if you still have that sinking feeling he has 2 pair or better. If he 3-bets you're either drawing very dead or very slim so a fold would be in order.