Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: $22, ITM, AK, giant stack conundrum

Ah. Well, in that case, if you think his min raise is quite a large range and he folds 50% or above, the push is fine.

If he had pushed all-in however, you do realise, you shouldn't call with AK here even if he had 32o. You need to be a 67% favourite.

And you should never be thinking about chipEV until you are heads up!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:04 AM

In this situation the short stack is pretty much forced all in even with marginal holdings, and if you were to call as well it would be fairly hard to pass up an opportunity to triple up with so few chips, however, were you to raise in this position the short stack may believe that he could squeek by into 2nd if the big stack busts you, so by raising you may scare a weak player out here which is not what you would like to see.

I think calling and expecting the short stack to raise all in is the best option here, here's why.

If you re-raise all in and the short stack folds and the big stack beats you you've probably lost $20 you could've had if you had just folded.

If you fold, and the short stack doubles up you'll kick yourself for folding, if you fold and the short stack loses then the play worked fine, but you can't assume that the big stack has even a decent hand with a min-raise that could just be an attempt to steal blinds.

If you call, short stack raises all in and the big stack folds you're in the position you want to be in and have a good chance of knocking out the short stack.

If you call and the short stack folds you still have the option of getting away from the hand on an unfavorable flop, or possibly stealing the chips in the pot if the big stack were just trying to steal.

If you call and the short stack raises all-in and then the chip leader puts you all in (although I think this is unlikely unless he holds a monster, since he'll be glad to have another hand drawing against the short stacks hand to increase his chances of securing another $20) I'd still call since chances are neither the short stack nor the chip leader have hands that dominate AK, and winning the short stacks money and doubling up off the big stack would put you in good position to win the tournament, whereas if you were to fold after the big stack raised you all in you'd be left with 1390 in chips, and with a much smaller chance of winning the tournament, and a smaller chance of eliminating the short stack in the all-in situation and you may then be facing someone with nearly equal chips to you if the shorty wins.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:08 AM

Now this is good advice.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I push this every time, and I'm not considering a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, would you call if he had pushed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would
Old 10-18-2005, 08:11 AM

Well, would it surprise you to know you have to be a 67% favourite against his range to call here?

If he pushes you fold, ICM blatantly says this.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:16 AM

67% against what range? If I lay down AK here I don't see me getting 1st.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:23 AM

ANY RANGE! Go on and do the maths..
Old 10-18-2005, 08:27 AM

Haven't done the math. I have no reason not to believe you, since you've done the math. Guess I have a leak calling with A high here.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:43 AM

You would sincerely call an all-in here by the big stack with AX?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:51 AM

eeh, no. I would call with AK, which is also an ace high hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]