SB ($100.25)
BB ($87)
Hero ($181.6)
UTG+1 ($57)
UTG+2 ($44.32)
MP1 ($87.45)
MP2 ($102.4)
MP3 ($43.9)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls $3.50.

Flop: ($10.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, MP2 calls $30.

Turn: ($90.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $87.5</font>???

Too aggressive on the turn? Should I check the turn and re-evaluate? Should I have even check-raised the flop? Quite a tough spot to play this hand out of position.

MP2 is 28/2 and has very high aggression factors (&gt;2.5) on all streets.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Tough spot on the turn. Party O/8 PL 100

[ QUOTE ]
Too aggressive on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blue Bear - I don't think so. It's possible, but doubtful, that MP2 has the suited ace or queen of hearts. If so, you're going to lose.

If you don't bet here and MP2 bets behind you, I think you're stuck calling. Holding the suited ace or queen of hearts, MP2 almost surely bets - and MP2 also bets with various other hands as well, but may check with some pure low draws.

You don't want MP2 to check after you and possibly eke out a low on the river.

Since you're stuck calling anyway, you might as well bet yourself, hoping that MP2 either folds or that the river will be favorable to you.

If MP2 already has you beaten in hearts, there's nothing you can do about it (except fold, which is way, way, way too weak). But betting here is good for you for two reasons:
• If a river card favorable to MP2 would cost you all or part of the pot, by betting you might possibly induce MP2 to fold.
• If MP2 is still on a draw and calls, a river card unfavorable to MP2 wins you the amount of your bet here.
• A third reason to bet here is remote enough that I hesitate to mention it, but a bet here would induce some (weak) opponents to fold the 2nd nut flush here. MP2 can be aggressive and still play "weak."

[ QUOTE ]
Should I check the turn and re-evaluate?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. (Absolutely not).

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have even check-raised the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
Quite a tough spot to play this hand out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, because your bet will put you all-in. (You don't have to worry about a raise here or a bet on the river).

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 05-16-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Tough spot on the turn. Party O/8 PL 100

Results:

The opponent folded on my pot turn bet. Opponent's cards unknown.

Thanks for your insightful comments Buzz.