Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Inside the Poker Mind vs Psych of Poker.

Which of these two books are better? I play low limit holdem and have already read just about all of 2+2s other books.

mark
Old 07-21-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Inside the Poker Mind vs Psych of Poker.

They're totally different books.

I liked Feeney's book better, but it's hard to directly compare the two. Feeney's book has a lot of general poker strategy advice in it -- short chapters on, for example, slowplaying, calling on the river, deceptive pre-flop raises, some specific hold 'em hands, etc. There are a few psychological discussions about avoiding tilt and stuff, but for the most part it's not a psychology book; it's a general poker book. (I'd put it in the same general category, content-wise, as Ciaffone's Improve Your Poker.)

Schoonmaker's book is isn't about poker strategy. It's about categorizing different types of players, understanding why they play the way they do, and using that understanding to take advantage of their exploitable habits.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:53 PM

Personally, Inside the Poker Mind has helped my game tremendously. I think it's one of the most valuable poker books someone can own right behind TOP and HPFAP.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, Ill order Poker Mind once I finish SSHE.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:21 PM

this topic has been discussed in an earlier thread..try using a search. I believe Alan recommended his book for beginners and John's book for more intermediate players.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:19 PM

Hi Mark,

As previously mentioned, these two books are both valuable and helpful, but are very different. The only similarity, other than poker, is that they are both written by psychologists, which prompts the readers to think they are both "psychology" books. Dr. Al's book helps you classify your opponents as well as yourself, therefore, getting to know your own game better. Dr. John's book gets more into advanced thinking when in certain common situations in hold'em.

In my opinion, Inside the Poker Mind is the best book written about hold'em. It is well written and concise. Your game will definitely improve. It is geared toward more of the intermediate to advanced players though, so much of the thinking process of his essays may go right over the heads of many beginners. Good luck.