Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 02:29 PM

Default God I butchered this hand:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero raises, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (8.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (8.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, CO raises, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.75 BB, between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (12.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ad 7c (one pair, sevens).
CO shows Js Tc (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: CO wins 12.75 BB. </font>
Old 07-21-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: God I butchered this hand:

I fold this hand preflop in your spot.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:59 PM

A quick note - you'll get better replies if you do not put the results in the original post, as it adds an inherent element of bias to all responses you get.

On to the hand..

Fold preflop - if you were on the button (or CO but knew the blinds were tight) you could try a steal, otherwise muck A7o.

Once you have raised pf you have to bet the flop as it's pretty raggedy...When you get 2 callers and the turn brings more of a straight draw, and an overcard to your pair, I'm slowing down.

IMHO you aren't getting these guys to fold, and it's seriously questionable if your hand is best at this stage. I check and hope for a free river card.

The river has brought another overcard and made any 8 a straight - I fold to the raise, as party opponents who will bluff raise the river with a pair of 6s or worse are rare. However, I wouldn't even bet out as you are not likely to be good against 2 opponents and a board full of overcards that probably hit one of the coldcallers.

Surf
Old 07-21-2004, 04:30 PM

I would usually fold preflop. I would need table-specifics that strongly justified a steal attempt. My rule of thumb from this seat is ATo is worth a raise.

Flop bet with middle pair is fine but the merchandise isn't selling. The turn card is poor and I would check and fold.

The river card is awful and I would not bet or call a bet, much less call a raise. This "Please don't either of you have an 8, 9, T, J, or KQ despite calling me three times" dream is getting ridiculous.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:00 PM

Interesting hand.

Obviously, the pre-flop raise is something to wonder about.

Surfbullet says:

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop - if you were on the button (or CO but knew the blinds were tight) you could try a steal, otherwise muck A7o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know one of my major weaknesses playing multiple tables online is not paying enough attention to the players to my left. I totally agree that this raise should only happen as part of plan that takes these players into account, not only their inclinations, but also our "history".

Having said that, I'm not sure that you only want to make this play against tighter players. If these players are so loose post flop that they will consistently call you down with any pair even if an ace flops, that is also a reason to consider making this play, right?

I would consider going for a check/raise on this flop.

I would check/fold the river.

/mc