Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: dumbest. question. ever. (preflop raise amount)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should not raise any stronger with your better hands. You should be raising the same with all of your hands. Otherwise, people willl notice (even the fish at party will see you betting $2 with KK and $1.25 with ATs etc...).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is not true, fish wont notice. By raising mildly with AA or KK you are leaving money on the table and this is important.
I play at 200NL I almost always raise 20$ or more with my AA (sometimes I even push) and Iam making small fortune with this strategy (slightly above 40$ per hand). If fish have 22+ AQ, AJ they will play no matter how much you raise.
All consideratins like : "raising always the same amount to be difficult to read", "dont raise too much because they wont call", "4xBB + no. of limpers" are simply plain wrong in small stakes.

Best wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

There's more to it than if just the fish will or won't notice. If there's even one person who notices, you will have an extremely difficult time playing against that person (even if the rest of the table is quite fishy). I play the 1/2 blind game as well and have notes on people who vary their raise sizes. With sufficiently deep stacks, I can turn a long term profit with any two against such players.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:58 PM

pot
Old 07-21-2005, 01:17 PM

I agree with that.
Probably I am still lucky enough to find games when amount of money I cant extract from fishes by raising huge with these hands outweight amount of money I lose to good players.

Best wishes
Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion it doesnt really matter if you are raising 4BB, 3BB, 8BB, or whatever you please. The only thing that matter is to raise strongly with AA-QQ even 12xBB or more after 4+limpers. These are hands to make preflop money with.

Best wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree entirely with this. You should not raise any stronger with your better hands. You should be raising the same with all of your hands. Otherwise, people willl notice (even the fish at party will see you betting $2 with KK and $1.25 with ATs etc...).

The OP wants to narrow the field down. Well, as one of the above posters noted, use the 4xBB + 1BB per limper rule. This generally narrows down the field. Now, if no one folds, then just open for 5 or 6 x BB + 1 BB per limper. You should use this rule for no matter what hand you hold.

I love it when people raise small with marginal hands and big with good hands. It gaves away enough information that I know how to play almost perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that a lot of people online like to raise QQ strongly because "QQ just doesn't hold up that well after the flop".

Then one night at a home game, this wheelchair guy made a big raise preflop and I said to myself "must be QQ". Sure enough on the flop after everybody folded he proudly showed his QQ and announced that "if you want to outdraw me you gotta pay the price!" Of course I laughed out loud.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:25 PM

I change mine, depending on the table. My normal without limpers is 4x BB, but if I was playing 25NL, I'm fairly sure it would be 5x BB. With limpers, I can see you making it 6x BB on these tables. Any more than that and it's difficult to get away from the hand if you hit a big hand (although if they're moronic and you think they'll call 10x BB raises when you have AA/KK/QQ, by all means, do it.).

So, yeah, if 4x BB isn't getting the job done, try 5 or 6x BB

Ryan
Old 07-21-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
however, you should relaly go with the rule, as much as they will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this one the best. My standard is the 4xBB+1 for each limper, this usually coincides with what they are willing to call. However if I'm at a table where I know there is one or two loose players likely to call 12XBB or even a push , than that is how much I'm raising. Likewise if I'm at a table where 2 limp and I know they will not call 6XBB(aka bad table selection), I might only raise 4. JMO
Old 07-21-2005, 08:03 PM

I go 12x no exceptions and get plenty of calls (25nl).
Old 07-21-2005, 08:50 PM

you raise 3 dollars PF each time wiht a premium pair? kind of an obvious tell if you ask me
Old 07-21-2005, 08:55 PM

Wow I'd give my left nut to find a game that allows you to raise well and above 4xBB and get callers.
Maybe I should drop pokerstars and play at Empire again.
On PS, a 3xBB raise causes the table to fold around, unless someone has a premium.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On PS, a 3xBB raise causes the table to fold around, unless someone has a premium.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's really true, you should be raising like 20% of hands and you'll show a huge profit.