Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Stud8 marginal hand, fold equity and going high when appear low

A gamble hand that pays off max. I try to run over the bricks and have to switch to plan b when they all call. 3rd is bad starter but I got in cheap so you know.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.90 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (2.45 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (5.45 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (8.45 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls

Total pot: (17.45 BB)

Results:
Total pot $349 | Rake $3

Hero: [4s 4d 3d 2h 6h 3s 4c] (HI: a full house, Fours full of Threes)

Seat 3: [6c 9h 6d Kd 8d Jc 6s]

Seat 6: [8s 5s 5c Ks As Tc 9s]
Old 10-02-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Stud8 marginal hand, fold equity and going high when appear low

I play it the same. Nice hand.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:38 AM

Looks good to me. Don't really see any other way to play it.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:48 AM

I play these types of hands the same way, I wondered if it wasn't optimal, but now glad to hear the local vets agree with this line.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:55 AM

One of the "local vets" isn't even old enough to gamble in his home state. I, on the other hand, am old enough to gamble in two states at once.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:00 AM

Hehe, I'm still baffled at how much experience young players can get, I feel old in the SSNL forum pretty often, and I'm 22.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just posted it cause really it's an icky call on 3rd and I'm behind the entire hand but I keep shooting thinking they gotta fold but they don't but then I get lucky. Of course if my hand didn't keep improving I'd have to slam on the brakes since I had close to nothing to start with, but I think this hand is an example of how close the line is between bad play and aggressive, higher level thinking play.

Btw, after this hand I didn't play any more marginal hands because obviously you had to make a hand and show it down. If that wasn't the case hands like this could have been worth more to start with I think.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the "local vets" isn't even old enough to gamble in his home state. I, on the other hand, am old enough to gamble in two states at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is a slam or a compliment [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

BTW I'm getting excited about CP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just posted it cause really it's an icky call on 3rd and I'm behind the entire hand but I keep shooting thinking they gotta fold but they don't but then I get lucky. Of course if my hand didn't keep improving I'd have to slam on the brakes since I had close to nothing to start with, but I think this hand is an example of how close the line is between bad play and aggressive, higher level thinking play.

Btw, after this hand I didn't play any more marginal hands because obviously you had to make a hand and show it down. If that wasn't the case hands like this could have been worth more to start with I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I really like a fold in this situation, since the ante is so low and there isn't a lot to get after in this pot. If this was a structure more conducive to action than this is a better call. But, since you did call, I think this is the correct way to play it, but as you mentioned, if you brick at all, you really have to slam the brakes and rethink your game plan.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:54 AM

Excellent game selection, sir.

Yeah, third is loose. After fourth, I get muddled, but continuing to fire seems as good a strategy as any.