Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Fold AA preflop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you lost the last hand you played, and are down to T50 on the button. Blinds are 250/500, Stacks are t200 (SB), T50 (BB), and T7700.. Big stack calls first in. There's no way that calling with anything here is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this statement doesn't make much sense. Okay, sure, you're pretty much toast, but you don't provide any context. I assume this is one of those "you should fold everything when you're down to an insignificant amount of chips and just hope enough people knock each other out before I get to the blinds again" theories. I don't buy into that.

If you're going to make any sort of attempt to mount a comeback, which is what I would do, then your chances of doing it are wholly dependent on how good the cards dealt to you are. You have no folding equity by being the first one into the pot. With the blinds that high, your opponents have the odds to call with anything, and you'll be facing at least two opponents in the blinds. Here at least you have 1+ active players who will hopefully narrow the field for you.

I would call every time in this situation with AA. And the bottom line is you are still the favorite versus everyone who gets involved in the pot. You may not be 50% or more to win, but you are still more likely than anyone else to take down your share of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think there was any possible argument for calling there. Change it up, you have 1 chip, other stacks are the same.. do you still call? As it is, on hand #1, two people will have a chance of being knocked out (both blinds are all-in), and on hand#2, if they both survive, the SB will be all-in, even if he tripled up on the previous hand.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: why you should not fold AA according to ICM

Hi Rachel

Thanks for seeing this as a math problem rather than a question of religious faith [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Please elaborate...What is ICM? How did you compute the various equities?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: why you should not fold AA according to ICM

Indenpendent chip model.
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~sharnett/ICM/ICM.html
there is tons of good stuff regarding this in old posts for more infomation. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Most of the posters know all the math, they just don't bother to explain them especially it's a very old question. Check archive more. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]