Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Advice for college

IU's business school kicks ass hardcore, but you can get in with good grades, taking 18 credits per semester isn't going to impress anybody. Its been done, you won't be the first or last.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

9) Don't buy books at the bookstore, they can all be found online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? -.-
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IU's business school kicks ass hardcore, but you can get in with good grades, taking 18 credits per semester isn't going to impress anybody. Its been done, you won't be the first or last.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took 18 almost every semester until my senior year, when I had 9 in the fall and 12 in the spring. This kicked much ass. I think this is a decent line, considering senior classes are often very intense and time consuming.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 AM

half.com
Old 07-05-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good rules. Execpt:

[ QUOTE ]

8. No drinking after 2 PM on Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you will probably drink every other day of the week for a while, the no drinking Sunday afternoon (which does not by any stretch prevent you from taking a drinking lunch on Sunday, one of my favorite hobbies) gives you pretty much your only chance to prepare for the week ahead. Also you will presumably leave a lot of work until Sunday night. My typical Sunday in college involved getting a pretty good buzz on at lunch, chilling out a little bit, and then doing some work and going to bed.

If you're going to pick one day not to drink on Sunday is the clear favorite. I won't pretend I didn't drink 7 days a week through good bits of college but sober Sunday nights is actually an excellent plan.

However it doesn't mean Sunday has to be an uptight day, usually it was my most relaxed day.

NT
Old 07-05-2005, 03:10 AM

I graduated from IU in May 04, from Kelley school of Biz with a degree in Entrepreneurship, I've been playing poker professionally since Sept of 04 btw. I second going to bball games and you should tailgate the football games, hell this year you may even go in, the passing attack may actually be fun to watch.

Getting into the biz school is cake, or at least it was. Used to you had to have a 3.0 in 3 classes out of Calculus, Finite, Business Admin(An older guy teaches this who lets you out early and is super cake, easy A, and K101(Excel and other computer stuff). So make sure you take the Business Admin which is X101 so you can subsitute that grade for one of the other 3 in case you suck in one of those others. The X101 is an elective so you arent forced to take it.

Clubs are good to be involved in because they look good on your resume, maybe you should start a Poker club and be president, seems simple enough, clubs arent that much work really. Hell I could guest speak.

I also recommend against living at Sterling Glen unless things have changed, the place is nice, but its so boring over there, its not like the commons, or Hoosier Courts or definately not the Villas, seems like nothing is ever going on, everyone stays in over there.

If going to the bars, see Hairbangers Ball at theluebird and Dave and Rae are usually good too.

Where are you from btw?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:39 AM

This is all very good advice and you should give a big thank you to No Thumb. But one thing I would advise is step out of your "shell" and try new things. Now that doesn't mean just do anything for the hell of it but if anything sensible interests you explore it and give it a shot. Before I went to college I thought trying new food was adding a few new items to a pizza and a vacation was heading to a beach an hour away and riding jet skis and getting drunk all the time. Now trying new food means eating deep fried grasshoppers or bull's testicles and vacations for fun means hiking in the Andes and for purpose means doing Tsunami relief in Thailand and Sri Lanka. You will meet so many new people, get the hell out there and try ANYTHING new that remotely interests you. Although, I am somewhat biased when I say this and it does go along (for most people) with the idea of doing something new, I would tell you to play rugby!!! I have played against IU, rugby team so I know they have a club and they are somewhat well represented on campus. Rugby has its own sort of "culture" that one would only know by experience. It's a beautiful thing. I was involved in sports all my life but the sports that I played in high school (hockey, soccer, tennis) I had no chance of making the varsity team in college. I found a natural fit at Rugby. It was one of those things where I thought hell it's college I'll try something new and I have been in love with it ever since. Best sport ever. Don't worry either if you think you are too small, there exists a position for everyone regardless of size and shape. As much as I love to promote Rugby though, it is most important that you do get involved in something!!!! Whether it be Rugby, some other club sport, a fraternity, student newspaper, political groups, student government, etc. etc. etc. JOIN SOMETHING and make a big school like IU smaller. You will be much happier that you did.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

5. Wear shower shoes. I repeat, WEAR SHOWER SHOES.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to hear the story behind this, but I kind of do.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:44 AM

I'm drunk now (why, when drunk is it important to state this) and read the other replies half-heartedly so this was probably said.

Go out and have a good time, no matter how shy you are. Meet new people, make new friends. I was a shy kid my whole life and now entering my junior year I am regretting it more than I have probably rgegretted anything in my whole life. I probably didn't open up until second semester sophomore year (possibly because I had one of those long distance HS girlfriends) Just do it. Don't worry about getting a girlfriend too early, I don't think that should be a concern (companionship = nice, but if she crowds your style, kick her to the curb). Be more concerned about enjoying yourself and doing what you think is fun. You don't need to get crunked/high/stoned/etc. to do this, just go out and experience life and people.

RAAAR.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3) Grades are important, but not as much as building a well-rounded resume. Get involved on campus and in the community.

[/ QUOTE ]
squeek makes some good points and is right one with the one above. Now it depends on your major and what you want to go into but what I am about to say is correct for 85% of college students: Grades are important, but not nearly as important as what you do outside of the classroom that is related to your class. What I mean by this is an A in some course that you take is not as important as going to that same professor's office hours, chatting it up with him, getting a job with him over the summer that will cause him to write you a fat recommendation. The same thing applies with internships and stuff. I have had friends who have had C averages but great internship experience and recommendations galore have no problem getting jobs but people with A- averages and no experience or recommendations having a great deal of difficulty. If business is your thing, get in with your business professor and he should be happy to try to get you in with some company he knows of. If some kind of research is your thing, try to work for a professor during summer months or even during the year. Those types of things are more important than grades.