Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Playing in the WCOOP main event

"You can't have fun when you're playing above your comfortable threshold for a stake."

Says who? You?

"He will not learn anything playing in that tournament that he wont learn playing in other multitable tournaments with smaller buyins."

Says who? You?

Your comments make little practical sense as well - as they are generic and unfounded. Of course he can have fun - it's not like he has put up the actual $500 to enter - it's almost like a freeroll (I said almost) situation for him. I know I could have fun and the stakes would be way above my usual stakes - and I mean way. He'll get the experience (learn what it's like) of playing for high stakes - he won't get that playing in the lower buy-in tournies you speak of.

I think your response was incorrect - can you provide me with something to backup your belief that he can't have fun playing for high stakes (do you know him?) and that he won't learn anything useful that he couldn't already learn in a low(er) buy-in MTT? I just don't see it.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Playing in the WCOOP main event

[ QUOTE ]
Your comments make little practical sense as well - as they are generic and unfounded. Of course he can have fun - it's not like he has put up the actual $500 to enter -

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes he has put up the $500. He won the entry fee in the previous tournament, he can then choose whether to enter this one or use the tournament dollars in any other events.
[ QUOTE ]
He'll get the experience (learn what it's like) of playing for high stakes

[/ QUOTE ]
Bullshit. This is completely meaningless and pointless when it comes to experience. The experience that matters is learning tournament strategy, and how to adjust your aggression to the willingness of other players to fold or call with their marginal hands. Experiencing "high stakes" has absolutely no bearing on the situation, especially since he wont be playing "high stakes" for a very long time. Such a tournament will attract the same skill of players as any $50 multitable, with one main difference, he himself will only get one chance to learn how to play.
[ QUOTE ]
he won't get that playing in the lower buy-in tournies you speak of.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's because he for a long time will be playing lower stakes, so there is no reason whatsoever for getting "experience" playing anything other than the stakes that matter. I have no interest sitting in the same game as Doyle Brunson to get experience playing him because I never intend to play him. There is no value whatsoever in what you are suggesting.

[ QUOTE ]
I think your response was incorrect - can you provide me with something to backup your belief that he can't have fun playing for high stakes (do you know him?) and that he won't learn anything useful that he couldn't already learn in a low(er) buy-in MTT? I just don't see it.

[/ QUOTE ] To stake $500 in one go, is a lot for anyone who admits it would be a significant portion of his bankroll. Let me put it another way for you. One of the important, and I stress this, factors for omaha is bankroll management. If he hasn't got the brains to take the cash rather than the tournament entry, then he will become a terrible player, who plays above his limit regularily and will experience going bankrupt for his roll.