Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Guns > abortion clinics

It's almost comical to think how different the opinions of men who don't support the right to choose would be if, suddenly, we were the ones had to carry fetuses..
Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wacki,

Replace 'clinics' with 'doctors' and I think it may become clearer.

[/ QUOTE ]

DVaut1,

So why didn't you just say that in the first place? And even that doesn't address the central point Wacki is trying to raise or discuss.

I'm sorry to say it, but so far this thread seems to be another example of how your primary purpose in posting often appears more the process of argument for argument's sake, rather than sincere discussion of issues.

I'm not saying every thread should be diversion-free, but why do you feel the need to harp so much on such angles, instead of addressing the main point or points raised? Why nitpick so, clogging up a thread with a bunch of posts to such an extent? It's almost a form of hijacking or trolling, the way I see it.

Everybody has a chance to make their small impact on this forum for better or for worse--just as in real life. Why not try to make the places you go a little better for your having visited?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wacki,

Replace 'clinics' with 'doctors' and I think it may become clearer.

[/ QUOTE ]

DVaut1,

So why didn't you just say that in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it not the first response I made? It was what I said in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
And even that doesn't address the central point Wacki is trying to raise or discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

His central point might be even more meaningless than the bumper sticker; abortion clinics are worse than guns? No kidding.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry to say it, but so far this thread seems to be another example of how your primary purpose in posting often appears to be more the process of argument for argument's sake, rather than sincere discussion of issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Earth to MMMMMM: This forum is one big argument. No genuine discussion takes place here. Sorry, I hate to say it. But this place is full of morons. Count me as one of those morons. Count yourself as one of them, too. But there's no important discussion taking place here. Sorry.

As someone once described it (quite correctly), it's 20 people having a never-ending flame war.

Again, what to discuss here if not the bumper sticker? It was central to his OP; if you look at the other responses in this thread, most other posters noticed the silliness of the cliche, too.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying every thread should be diversion-free,

[/ QUOTE ]

How nice of you to allow such diversions.

[ QUOTE ]
but why do you feel the need to harp so much on such angles, instead of addressing the main point or points raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, okay. Well, abortion clinics are worse than guns, yes. Also, the sky is blue.

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody has a chance to make their small impact on this forum for better or for worse--just as in real life. Why not try to make the places you go a little better for your having visited?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is free to post in whatever manner they want. I post in whatever way most pleases me. Some have fun this way, other's have fun pretending their Islamic scholars and beating the drums of Islamo-phobia. Frankly, I think a great majority of your posts regarding Islam do nothing but flame the fans of hatred and they're are chalked full of nonsense; certainly their 'contribution' does nothing expect further my belief that you're of a simple mind, and don't constitute 'discourse' except for the dim-witted - so why don't you consider making a small impact on this forum towards the more intellectual, and post less inane, poorly-thought out nonsense. Consider it, anyway.

----------------------------

Or, how about we end all asinine lecturing about subjective assessments over how posts contribute to the community, and we just live and let live, and end all moral posturing over how posters behave here. Consider it, anyway. And I mean it this time.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:45 PM

DVaut1,

You have a very flawed idea of the nature and purpose of this forum.

Contrary to your assertion, there IS a lot of genuine discussion taking place here. There happened to be more of it, though, before certain posters came along.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DVaut1,

You have a very flawed idea of the nature and purpose of this forum.

Contrary to your assertion, there IS a lot of genuine discussion taking place here. There happened to be more of it, though, before certain posters came along.

[/ QUOTE ]

If what you offer here is considered genuine, intellectual discussion, and exemplary of what was present before - than I doubt what you say is true.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Never mind about what you think about me or my posts. Just have some respect for the other posters and the fact that SOME people are actually trying to have genuine discussions.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's almost comical to think how different the opinions of men who don't support the right to choose would be if, suddenly, we were the ones had to carry fetuses..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Ruth-Bader Ginsberg has made a similar point in her opposition to restrictions on abortion (more correctly, I believe she argued that denial of abortion produced on undue burden on the 'life course' of women; certainly a much more complicated view than I've presented here, though).

However, abortion is undeniably a killing (and I would also argue, it's NOT murder, either). Regardless, I'm of the mind that abortion should be illegal; yet I have no firm beliefs as to how illegal abortion should be, nor what the punishment for those who seek and provides abortions ought to be; but abortion, as I see it, is unethical, even if the burden placed on women is unequal to that placed on men (that is, like you said - men do not carry children).
Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never mind about what you think about me or my posts. Just have some respect for the other posters and the fact that SOME people are actually trying to have genuine discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I showed wacki any disrespect (did I hint that he was retarded if he didn't see my point, as he did to me?; not that I particularly care if he calls me retarded. I don't doubt I often display characterists a retard would) - and I had the discussion I wanted to have; and it was a discussion that other posters were interested in as well.

But thanks for the recommendation. It will go ignored (like all recommendations from you), to be sure.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never mind about what you think about me or my posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, MMMMMM, nevermind what you think of me and my posts, just stop posting silly nonsense about Islam.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 PM

If you guys are going to continue to bicker like this, you should take it to PM or AIM.