Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Looking for abinsthe.

Anyone know a site where I can obtain some abinsthe?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Looking for abinsthe.

http://www.absinth.com/
Old 08-24-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.absinth.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the consequences of drinking this stuff? Will you be ok if you don't over do it? What is the buzz like?

And what's the story on the Cannibis Vodka?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:10 AM

Generally, the absinthe available on the market is made without using wormwood, which is what supplies the chemical which induces the hallucinogenic effects (Thujone). So, its not really absinthe. It does however, have a very high alcohol content.

I know its possible to buy "real" absinthe in parts of Eastern Europe, but have no idea if its available via the internet.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 AM

make it
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM

It is available on the internet, and with a little bit of digging around you can find sites that will also list the thujone content of the various brands. As for effects, its not really much different than any other 140 proof liquor. By the time you've had enough to feel any hallucinogenic effects, you're shitcanned anyways.

I went to Prague 4 times when I lived over there. Awesome city.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know its possible to buy "real" absinthe in parts of Eastern Europe, but have no idea if its available via the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I brought some home from the Czech Republic about a decade ago. [censored] fucks you up man. I still have a little left. Don't know if it's still any good. Maybe I should check. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 AM

Huh?

Any absinthe you're going to find on the internet has thujone in it. Around the turn of the century there was a Europe-wide limit on how much thujone you could put in. Any "real" absinthe with pre-1900ish level thujone is either going to literally be 100 years old and cost you a boatload of money, or is going to be some serious black market [censored].

But to the OP, absinthe has such a high alcohol content, that you'll be getting passed-out drunk long before you will halucinate.

-Matt
Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 AM

I thought it was legal in Spain?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:37 AM

from www.absinth.com:

Is Logan Fils made from wine and distilled from real herbs particularly wormwood ?
Logan Fils is the only absinthe made from WINE on the market today and probably the strongest as far as the portion of wormwood and other essences is concerned. And real herbs are used to obtain the desired colour. Unlike most commercial brands, no artificial essences or colorants are used.

Can Logan Fils be commercially sold ?
Absinthe is sold in most European countries provided it meets the 10mg of thujone per litre legal limit. Since the essences of wormwood in Logan Fils are in the same proportions as in genuine absinthes from the 19th century, it exceeds this limit by far and therefore can NOT be sold commercially in those countries.

But some Absinthes sold today are very bitter and alcoholic.
Are they stronger than Logan Fils ?
No, they are´t. They contain less than 10mg of thujone a litre, which can be achieved by soaking the herbs in alcohol.And this is why some absinthes are very bitter and in most Absinthes made today, a wormwood plant was replaced with a wormwood oil to reduce bitterness.

Why are there Absinthes today sold for around $60 or so per litre while Logan Fils costs so much ?
The majority of the stuff sold for around $60 is NOT distilled, contains only around 10mg of thujone, is made from grain alcohol with its unhealthy side-effects, is, in most cases, artificially colored, and wormwood oil is added at the end. Slightly more expensive versions for around $100 are likely to be distilled, but again grain alcohol is used instead of spirits distilled from wine, and if commercially sold, contain around 10mg of thujone as well.

Is Logan Fils made from wine ? And is it distilled from real herbs, particularly wormwood ?
Logan Fils is the only absinthe on the market today made from WINE, and probably the strongest as far as the proportions of wormwood and other essences are concerned. What's more, real herbs are used to obtain the desired colour. Unlike most commercial brands, no artificial essences or colorants are used.

It sounds great ! So will it make me hallucinate ?
Not after one shot!
Remember, all those poets were not just occasional drinkers ! Vincent Van Gogh drank enormous amounts of Absinthe, and as a result his paintings were characterized by intense yellow hues and halo effects, such as in his still life of an Absinthe glass and water decanter painted in 1886.

So how will I feel after drinking Logan Fils Absinthe made the old way?
Logan Fils absinthe made the old way has all the essences in the same proportions as in old original absinthe, including particularly Grand Wormwood, Genepl, Petite Wormwood, Anise, Fennel and others. These essences together with wine spirit have quite a significant effect on the body, in that you can drink much more of the stuff than other strong spirits and it does not make you feel drunk but ...
As Oscar Wilde once described :
"The first stage is like ordinary drinking, the second when you begin to see monstrous and cruel things, but if you can persevere you will enter in upon the third stage where you see things that you want to see, wonderful curious things."
And this is what probably made famous artists what they were.