Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 12:56 AM

Default I\'m hitting a brick wall at UBet (in general), perhaps UB\'s too tight?

I only have 4,000 hands at UBet so cry sample size all you want but I'm can't seem to beat the NL 25 / 50 tables at UBet. I don't think I'm playing too loose, my avg flop seen percentage is around 22-27%. Post flop I'm betting my draws and TPTK hands, but yet I'm -4BB/100.

I think it stems from the fact that the UBet's NL are mostly full of tight / weak players. Even with the table flop % seen rather high (anywhere from upper 30's to 40's), that's taking into fact that most players are limping in and play is very tight against pre-flop raises.

I very rarely get called down with a hand worse than mine, most of the time when I get called with my pot sized flop bets they almost always have a hand that can beat TPTK.

I don't know, it's just been 3 straight losing days (compared to 0 winning days). I can hold my own on Party's, Paradise's, Full Tilt's, and Absolute's (somewhat) NL 25 - 50 tables, but it seems like everyone's a nut peddler at UBet . . . and I thought Absolute was bad.

On a side note I found a few very loose NL 100 tables Sunday night (people were going all in with $100 stacks on low pocket pairs, then people would be calling with stuff like KJo or QTo) but didn't get any good cards at those tables so I was only a little above break even after a few long sessions.

However I noticed that the limit .5/1 tables are really loose and I seem to be winning more consistently on those tables as compared to the NL tables. I thought about multitabling those, but clearing UB bonus is so bad with .5/1 limit.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:48 AM

Default Re: I\'m hitting a brick wall at UBet (in general), perhaps UB\'s too ti

I thought about multitabling those, but clearing UB bonus is so bad with .5/1 limit.

Clearing bonuses while showing a profit otherwise is probably better than clearing bonuses and showing a loss.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Re: I\'m hitting a brick wall at UBet (in general), perhaps UB\'s too tight?

I play almost exclusively at UB at the same NL games as you...(what's your UB handle??)

Anyway...I find the NL games there ARE full of weak/tight or calling station players...

I'm winning there after a a few months, but my sample size is probably too small, as well...but here's how I play these tables:

I play my big hands very strong - always with a pot-sized bet or raise if I think I'm ahead; my starting hands are conservative but I will limp with suited connectors and gapped connectors into the right pot at the right table...I throw away most AJ, KQ, KJ, Q10 type hands if it's raised - even a little - and I'll rarely limp with them unless I'm in MP or better...

On the flop, if I raised it pre-flop, I will almost always take a stab at it with a pot-sized bet, unless the flop was very bad for my hand or there's more than two others still in the hand with me.

I do play Doyle's strategy a lot of the time in one regard: no matter what i have, if it's checked around to me, I bet the pot. If there are only two or three people seeing the flop and I'm first to act - I bet the pot. Doesn't matter what I have. The players at UB are so passive that they'll call you down as long as you're mini-betting, but if you bet the pot they think you've got a legitimate hand.

I win so many small pots this way that, like Doyle, I can take a flyer with an 89 suited if it's raised pre-flop and the raiser has a decent stack - if I hit, I can bust him, if I don't, I fold.

Seriously, I take a stab at a pot EVERY time it's checked to me or I'm first act and the circumstances are right, that I'm AMAZED I don't get called more often than I do.

now, when I hit a hand...I play it strong...bet the pot on the flop...if I get called, what I do on the turn depends on the texture of the hand...I've noticed almost every UB player will call a flop bet if they've got a four-flush...so if there are two flush cards on the board, I bet, get a call, and if the turn doesn't make it three flush cards, I'll bet the pot again...I'd say it's about 70-30 that I get a fold here. If they call, well, I'm checking the river almost always.

I stay out of decision making hands. Meaning, I don't call a raise with AJ, hit an A, the raiser bets...NOW what do I do? In no-limit, it's just asinine to play this way.

So stay out of those kind of hands...

Be patient...I three-table and sometimes I'm going 20-30 minutes without playing a real hand...

Limping into family pots with any 1, 2 or 3 gapper is actually not a bad play...why? Because the UB players are so passive, that you'll often see the turn for as little 25 or 50...if the flop hit you even a little, it's worth it to see another card for so little...it's amazing to me how often TP is mini-betting because he fears the re-raise...and I turn or river a straight or better...

Also, depending on the player, of course...i'll re-raise most mini-bets...say there's 4 players seeing a flop...$2.50 in the pot...it goes check, check, one guy bets .25, another calls, one fold, it's back to me...I'll bet the pot. I'll invariably pick it up right there. Anyway, I find most min-bets are weak-ass bluffs or 2nd pair at best. Sometimes you run into a weak/tight player who will actually bet their TPTK that way, but you'll quickly learn who they are.

Play your mid PPs conservatively in early position...don't raise with them unless you're in late position and you can knock out a few of the limpers and the blinds...I'm talking 88, 99, 1010, even JJ...when you DO raise with an imaginitive hand (88, 910) do what's expected of you on the flop if it's checked to you - bet. Stay aggressive.

Also, I'm amazed at how many people are IN LOVE with slow playing their big hands. Let them. Call their mini-bets...and bust their ass!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Basically, STAY AGGRESSIVE...play what you think THEY have, not what you have. I'm still learning, but this style seems to be working for me...and because I'm rarely calling big bets with so-so hands, I rarely get all my money in with the worst of it. Be prepared to lay it down if you're just not sure...play the next hand instead!

Hope some of this made sense...it was a ramble...
Old 09-28-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: I\'m hitting a brick wall at UBet (in general), perhaps UB\'s too ti

^^ That's generally how I'm playing, except that when people call me down it's not with worse hands, it's with better.

In my limited UBet experience, the only people who call my pot sized bets have beaten my TPTK.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:54 PM

well, I tend to play TPTK strong on the flop but I will slow down considerably if I get a call or two...TPTK in NL is for shyte! Not worth losing a big chunk on it.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:07 PM

The micro-NL tables on UB do tend to be less wild than on the other sites, but to call the players tight is wrong as far as I can tell. You see a lot of limping with suited trash hoping to trap ABC players. You sound a bit on the ABC side, consistently playing your draws and TPTK the same way. I'm no expert (since I'm playing the same tables as you), but my guess is you might do better if you worked on being a little trickier with your play in order to get more money in the pot when you have the opposition beat.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: I\'m hitting a brick wall at UBet (in general), perhaps UB\'s too tight?

[ QUOTE ]
I think it stems from the fact that the UBet's NL are mostly full of tight / weak players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play at UB, but weak tight players are very easy to beat.

[ QUOTE ]
I very rarely get called down with a hand worse than mine, most of the time when I get called with my pot sized flop bets they almost always have a hand that can beat TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you make money in this game by stealing, and to win a big pot you have to trick them into making a big mistake.

Opening in late position- Steal raise with hands that rate to be best or help outplay postflop.

Against limpers- you can raise weak tight limpers with hands that help outplay postflop (i.e. 55/79s). Can win preflop. Can win without hitting hand post flop, and if hit, have a lot of disguise.

An example- Everyone has about 100X BB stacks. 2 weak tight limpers to you in cutoff. You have 79s. Here you should consider a raise. A lot of the time you will either win it there or on the flop, and you have a chance to flop a big disguised hand that they can make a big mistake against and double you through. Eventually, you either make a nice win doing this, or they loosen up against you and you can make a nice win that way too.

So you manipulate the betting and opponents, thus winning lots of small pots pre and post flop, and may also double through by hitting a disguised hand. Whether to raise preflop with those hands that help outplay depends on situation with regards limpers, depth of money, hand, position etc.

Don't automatically lay down post flop when you miss. Look for ways to win the pot first.

Look to use position to take pots away with a bluff call/raise.

Look to take the pots on the next street after it is bet small and everyone passively calls along.

You also need to be careful when you just flop tptk or an overpair. You can win a little money if you don't go to war with it. How you actually play it post flop depends on various things.