Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 05:46 PM

Default I was called a fish for this..

Was it stupid? Holding the 2nd nut flush draw and two overcards, with two cards to come and no future bets, I saw absolutely no reason to fold to the flop bet. What's really funny is after I missed all twelve of my outs, she said, "I'm going fishing." This is the same person who called a $3 preflop raise with 97s and sucked out on me a few hands ago, calling me a fish..

PS this isn't a bad beat hand, I want to know if this really was as stupid a call as she seemed to believe.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($43.3)
UTG ($38.85)
UTG+1 ($22.5)
<font color="C00000">UTG+2 ($4.9)</font>
<font color="C00000">Hero ($20.55)</font>
MP2 ($25)
MP3 ($18.93)
CO ($25.7)
Button ($16.49)
SB ($24.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($5.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 bets $2.90 (all-in)
Hero calls $2.90.

Turn: ($8.15) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: ($8.15) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $8.15
<font color="green">Main Pot: $8.15, between UTG+2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+2 ($8.15).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+2 has Kh Js (one pair, jacks).
Hero has Kd Qd (high card, ace).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins $8.15. </font>
Old 10-01-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: I was called a fish for this..

no, call was fine. you had more than enough odds to call.

Tell her she's retarded for playing with 4.9 dollars in this game.

By the way, I find your preflop raise in MP1 at a full table with KQs more disturbing than your call on the flop.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:52 PM

I think you know the answer, and that of course is that you are a GIANT FISH.

seriously though, that is a very, very easy call. If people's comments affect you, turn off the dialogue box.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:53 PM

No good on the preflop raise?

I'm a limit player trying to get into NL. I figured that was strong enough for a raise..
Old 10-01-2004, 05:57 PM

I say you put this person on your buddy list, follow them around and take their money, and if they talk to you, turn off chat and continue to do the same (until they figure out hide me from search).
Old 10-01-2004, 06:07 PM

no good on the preflop raise.

in limit, this is good hand to raise with preflop but not in NL because worse hands fold to your 4xbb preflop raise but better hands stay around most of the time. Notice how you got 6 folds and got it heads up. That would never happen at a limit table from a preflop raise. Also, most sensible players fold KJ to a preflop raise. Your opponent in this case was the fish.

Read the AJ preflop thread to get a better understanding on this concept.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:27 PM

Is KQs a fold from here then? It feels like this is too tight.

If you limp with it, how much of a raise from late position are you willing to call? I'm assuming you'd advocate folding if someone in LP triples the blinds.

I don't play full games, so I'm truly curious as to what is the appropriate line here.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is KQs a fold from here then? It feels like this is too tight.

If you limp with it, how much of a raise from late position are you willing to call? I'm assuming you'd advocate folding if someone in LP triples the blinds.

I don't play full games, so I'm truly curious as to what is the appropriate line here.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fold on which street? and yes I believe you should limp in middle position with KQs and fold to 3xbb raise although thats rare as I more often see either minraise or 4xbb + raise. The thing I struggle with is how to play ATs, AJ, KQs to a minraise.

In full games, your preflop selection should be much tighter than in 6 max.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:40 PM

pre flop raise is fine... call on flop is more than fine... a fold would be terrible... dont let this person bother you... your opponent is obviously super super bad at poker..