Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Does anyone else have this problem?

I noticed it a few days ago. actually a friend pointed it out to me. whenever i play several level below my normal poker game, I have no ability to play well. I just can't play good solid poker. I try to move people off hands I know they can't fold. Its almost like an addiction. I know what I am doing is bad, but i can't stop,
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM

Default The good news

The good news is, you're seeing this as a psychological flaw in your own game -- failing to adjust when you know you'll get called to the river -- rather than blaming the low-limit games for being unbeatable. As I'm sure you know, the latter approach is quite frequent in your situation, but it's also pretty preposterous to those who understand the underlying math.

Ed Miller said it best -- by totally blunting one weapon, the bluff, they've left themselves thoroughly defenseless against another powerful weapon, value bets. Wait for a good hand and bet the hell out of it.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Does anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem. If losing doesn't "hurt" at all psychologically, I have difficulty playing well. I am sometimes a fish if I play in something like 4-8 with friends. So I try to avoid it at all costs. Definitely play a level you're rolled for, but will still sting a little.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2005, 12:02 PM

i think some of it is unrealistic expectations. some of it is just enjoyment and some of it is just experimenting try to dominant a table and try to impress people.

For instance last weekend, I did rather well in 40/80 mixed game so i went over to a 4/8 table to play with friends. And i want to be in pots and impress them with bold play rather than solid play which won me the $
Old 08-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Chip Reese said he can't play at lower limits cause he gets bored and there's no sting to the losses, thus no incentive.
Slightly different case but has merits.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chip Reese said he can't play at lower limits cause he gets bored and there's no sting to the losses, thus no incentive.
Slightly different case but has merits.

[/ QUOTE ]

its likely somewhat similar. i doubt i would do this if there was more cash involved
Old 08-26-2005, 01:37 PM

If you put me in a .01/.02 game, the fish will become the sharks and I would be eaten alive. This is a common problem, I think... mostly rooted in disinterest.

Take this for example...

The fairly well-known professional poker player Bill Gazes came to my school to talk at my poker class. Anway, we obviously had to have him come to play at our ring game at night. The game was 1/2 NL 100 max buy-in. He ended up down about 50 dollars as a result of some pretty bonehead plays. We knew the guy could outplay any one of us, but he just didn't care.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fairly well-known professional poker player Bill Gazes came to my school to talk at my poker class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker class?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker class?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a few friends and I started an Applied Mathematics class at my college on poker.

"AM0194 Mathematical Modeling and Analysis of Poker
Search restricted to:
Spring 2005
The goal of this course is to develop and analyze mathematical models in poker. Among the topics to be studied are probabilistic modeling and computation; opponent modeling; game theoretic aspects of poker; use of simulation; construction of strategies and approximation of nearly optimal strategies. Students will make presentations based on selected reading, and there will be a final paper."
Old 08-26-2005, 02:47 PM

Where do you go to school and what do the kids in the class major in? I'm sitting here signing up for Buddhism and Research Methods.