Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Anyone multitable on a 19\" CRT?

I bought a cheap, low-quality NEC 19" CRT to tide me over until I can get an LCD. It really hurts my eyes after a while, and I plan to pick up a 2405 as soon as I can justify it.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:34 AM

I don't think my CRT is particularly 'clear' per-se.

It does the job (19" viewsonie at 1600x1200) but is certainly not fantastic.

I will likely be getting a Dell 2001FP (or some other flat-panel perhaps) and junking the CRT perhaps in the very near future.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will likely be getting a Dell 2001FP (or some other flat-panel perhaps) and junking the CRT perhaps in the very near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, you owe it to yourself to get an LCD monitor. This is your job, you spend a lot of time at it, and your eyesight is infinitely more valuable than the modest sum that you'll spend on an LCD.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:39 AM

Ancient

I take it you've had some experience with TigerDirect...not a good one, huh? What was the problem? If its dicey to order from there, I'd like to know...

Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 AM

I've been using a couple of 19 inch CRT's side by side for a long time now. It's readable and works great, and there is no overlap. The main thing is that you get 1600x1200 resolution, which is standard on 19 inch CRT's these days.

You can go to Frys Electronics or Outpost.com(which is Fry's online version of their store) and usually get a 19-inch for far less than the price you're looking at. I've seen them for $88 before.

The thing is, though, I would be sure to put my eyeballs on any monitor I bought, as some are a little sharper or have better color rendition, etc., than others. One of the best ways to do it is to scour the Sunday and Saturday newspaper adds for the big stores like Best Buy and Frys and then do a long round of trips, eyeballing them all before making your decision.

And an even better way is to pick up local computer magazines, if your city has them, or do what it takes to find out about local computer fairs. Prices are extremely cheap there, and you can bargain super hard because there's so much competition for your money. And you can see so many models side by side, too.

Anyway, you can probably find a $100 19-inch CRT out there. They're pretty common here in L.A., where I live. Frys sells them at that price about every two weeks. And not all of them are bad.

I'd stay away from KFC brand though. Those are just way too crappy for my tastes.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:03 AM

If you're set on getting a CRT, Sony and Samsung make pretty good ones, at least in my experience. Nice and crisp, and the flat fronts are a lot better than my bubble-shaped NEC screen. I would definitely not recommend buying a super-cheap CRT.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 AM

I have 2 IBM P96 19" monitors that I love. Bought them on Ebay used, $100 each including shipping. Refresh rate is 85mhz at 1600x1200. I love them, great flat screen, great color and clarity, I play 4 tables on each.

CountDeMonet
Old 04-26-2005, 09:06 AM

You may want to look for a reseller in your area. I went to one in my area a while back that was offering refurbished 21" CRT's for about 150 each. You may not get the warranty of a new monitor, but 2 21's for under 300 ain't too shabby!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ancient

I take it you've had some experience with TigerDirect...not a good one, huh? What was the problem? If its dicey to order from there, I'd like to know...

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly rebate hassle, for most purchases w/o rebates TD seems like an ok place to buy from.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:47 AM

Guys,

I posted this a few weeks ago - thought it was relevant to this thread. Note: this is a 19" Flat Panel - not CRT. It is fine for 4 tabling but not super clear for general use at 1600x1200. Let me know what you think.

"I just went to Compusa and bought the Norwood Micro 17" LCD Monitor for $249.99 with tax. Check out this link - (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...1&pfp=hpf6). I can't believe it works at 1600x1200 but it does. The 19" model did not. Make sure it says Model# HD17A on the back. I am playing four tables on it right now. Had to change my display options in Windows under the Settings > Advanced > Monitor tab to NOT hide modes the monitor can't display. Awesome!!!!"