Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 02:15 AM

Default I think I\'ve worn out my welcome!

I play NL tourneys twice a week with really good players. I manage to do quite well in these games. Buy-ins range from $50-$200. Over the past 3 months however, I have been playing with a new group on the weekends, mixed soccer moms and dads from my kids’ soccer teams. It’s meant to be for fun cause the buy-ins are only $10 and there is a lot of drinking and socializing going on. 15-30 people usually play so the winner is taking home $80- $150.

At first it was hard playing with these passive calling machines but after I figured out their game I have won 1st or 2nd 7 out of the last 10 times. The last game my wife played with us, (she never ever plays) and managed to take 2nd with one hour worth of lessons. (I took 1st) These are good people who are absolutely horrible poker players.

During our last soccer game, I overheard some of the parents talking and complaining about me winning again. I was not invited to the last tournament but they said it was because the thought I was out of town. I am going to next weeks game however and would like your opinions.

My wife says I should throw the game and let some one else win, not even finish in the top 5 she says. Variance will eventually let them win more I explained, but she says to take a dive anyways. Sort of takes the fun out of it for me, so what should I do?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: I think I\'ve worn out my welcome!

Take a dive, then encourage a higher buyin for the next game/week/whatever. Call the lost buyin an investment in the future.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:42 AM

Take some oreos and fake a bad Russian accent.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a dive, then encourage a higher buyin for the next game/week/whatever. Call the lost buyin an investment in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree - except that you shouldn't take a TOTAL dive. Instead of applying your proven 'beat this game' strategy. Simply expirement w/other strategies or tactics. Push where you might not have, see how they respond, etc...

Now you're investing in a) you're welcome there
and b) Poker experiences/skills/tools
Old 11-13-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree - except that you shouldn't take a TOTAL dive. Instead of applying your proven 'beat this game' strategy. Simply expirement w/other strategies or tactics. Push where you might not have, see how they respond, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

True. If he has to purposely lose, though... far better to do it on the bubble than so early that it's obvious.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:42 AM

Depends on what you care about.

If you want to do it socially and feel they aren't happy that you always win, then throw the game by just being insanely aggressive.

If you want to play your best, go to a different game, this won't ever offer it to you.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:01 AM

bring a lot of drinks and snacks, and throw the tourney while being extra sociable.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:25 AM

Sounds like they're being kind of petty about the whole thing. I'd rather not go than go and donate.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ill try this and see how it goes. I like the thinking here, cheap poker schooling 101.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:09 AM

Play the game but play to socialize. Congratulations are in order for each hand they win. Make them feel good about loosing.

Ugly girls have lots of pretty friends. Be very nice with the ugly girls and do not use them and you will get dates with the good looking girls. Be nice to this game.