Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Flopped the nut straight, villain all-in on the river, now what?!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (full ring, 7 players)

(There may be some errors in here -- converter didn't seem to be working right this morning.)

UTG ($105.64)
UTG+1 ($34.50)
MP ($57.05)
CO ($50.05)
Hero ($65.05)
SB ($10.65)
BB has ($57.05)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB posts a blind of $0.25. BB posts $0.50.
(UTG has been LAG pre-flop, playing more than 40% of the pots and raising often preflops (but generally smallish raises), but tight post-flop.)
UTG raises to $2.
1 fold
MP calls
(I don't have a great read on MP, except I have noticed that he will play almost any A and a lot of weak K's too and he has called down to the river with some failry weak hands (e.g., TPWK). Haven't seen much aggression from him pre- or post-flop.)
1 fold
Hero calls.
SB folds.
BB calls.

Flop: ($8.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $4, MP calls $4, Hero calls $4, BB folds.

Turn: ($20.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
UTG bets $4, MP calls, Hero raises to $16, UTG folds, MP calls.

The reason I raised is I had a pretty good idea based on my reads that MP has top pair, and I decided it was time to extract some more money from him (and hopefully confuse him a little). I hoped UTG would come along for the ride, and so I kept the raise close to 1/2 of what was already in the pot.

River: ($56.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
MP all-in ($35.05), Hero?!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Flopped the nut straight, villain all-in on the river, now what?!

given your read you have to call here, and if he has the full house then that's poker. He could easily be calling with a weak ace and think that he's good now since there is only one left in the deck.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
except I have noticed that he will play almost any A and a lot of weak K's too and he has called down to the river with some failry weak hands

[/ QUOTE ]

insta call, though AJ is a likely possibility...
Old 08-04-2005, 03:45 PM

Is there anything anyone would have done differently? Did I show too much strength on the turn? Should I have waited until the river to try to trap UTG for one more bet?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:48 PM

i'd have raised to 20 on the turn instead of 16 but that's nitpicking. You got a big raise called when you had the nuts...what more can you ask for....always try to get in money on the turn because it lets you make bigger river bets as well and still get them called. I don't really think you misplayed this hand at all...if you lost it, then oh well, but you played the hand fine.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:12 PM

On a rainbow board, id probably do the same, but theres $16 in the pot on the flop by the time it gets to you. A raise here is something to consider to make a turn push about what you have left.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 PM

I would probably raise the flop. With a bet from UTG and a call from MP, I think a raise here is good, especially if MP will call a raie here with any A. A raise here also makes your subsequent plays easier, you can put the rest in on the turn.
Either way, I think you have to raise more on the turn. If you raise it more, your river decision will be a no-brainer. Do you think he folds an A to a 2/3 pot raise or full pot raise but not a 1/2 pot? If he is weak, my guess is no. It would be nice to have 2 callers, but giving two opponents decent odds doesn't sound as nice as getting one opponent to put in a lot when he is likely FAR behind. And if he isn't far behind (a set), then you didn't charge him enough.

As you played it, I call the river.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:40 PM

raise the flop and take control of the betting...just make it $18 or something. his half-pot doesn't show enough strength for me to want to let him continue controlling the betting...and that's demonstrated by his turn donkbet.

raise more on the turn too. $25 or so
Old 08-04-2005, 04:44 PM

I probably would have raised the flop, but I certainly don't think a smooth call is awful. Thing is, and this sucks but it happens a lot because of the way these people play at this level, you have to raise more on the turn.

Look at the numbers, MP is calling 12 more to win 44. UTG is basically wasting your time with his bet, but I think you have to make it at least 25 here. I mean, MP still will not fold his two pair, but it will make his a play a bigger mistake and your crying call on the river a little easier.

Unfortunately, I think it is highly unlikely he does not have a full house here.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:04 PM

Hmmm . . .I was afraid I'd lose them with a raise on the flop, but you're probably right. He probably would have at least called that raise.

I like the suggestions to raise more on the turn. If there's one thing I should have done differently, I think that's it.