Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: 99, river raise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you don't raise this you miss out on a lot of value IMO. he calls with A high or better and his turn donk means nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think his turn donk means nothing sometimes alghouth not that often given his stats. otherwise he could have anything from 22-qq. but the overwhelming favorite is that he has a 10.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:07 AM

thanks. i'm looking at some threads now... i still kind of suck with some stats.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:10 AM

It is dangerous business to rely on AF to make decisions about a player unknown to you, but I think a T is his most likely hand here. I guess the question is does he both have a worse hand and call often enough to offset the times he has a T? I would probably just call but I think raising is fine also. It would be the easiest fold to a 3-bet ever I think.

Cartman
Old 10-10-2005, 02:28 AM

He's a donk and he donked the T on the turn. Which hands does this lead you to put him on??

If the range includes a fair number of worse hands which will call down unimproved, then why not raise the turn??

If the range is mainly straight draws and T's, then why raise the river??
Old 10-10-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's a donk and he donked the T on the turn. Which hands does this lead you to put him on??

If the range includes a fair number of worse hands which will call down unimproved, then why not raise the turn??

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point. raising turn isbetter than raising river especially if he is capable of donking aj or kq or j7.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think he does this with any pair or draw. It's possible that statistically he does it more often with a T, but when the T hits on the river it reduces the probability that he has a T in his hand enough so that I think it's a raise. Then again, this post is pointless because everyone donks with different things and stats don't mean a damn thing. The easiest thing to do is get a good read on this individual.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think he does this with any pair or draw. It's possible that statistically he does it more often with a T, but when the T hits on the river it reduces the probability that he has a T in his hand enough so that I think it's a raise. Then again, this post is pointless because everyone donks with different things and stats don't mean a damn thing. The easiest thing to do is get a good read on this individual.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you would agree that calling down is best absent of a read?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so you would agree that calling down is best absent of a read?

[/ QUOTE ]

i really have no idea anymore. i've been talking to all1n for like 10 minutes and hes on the brink of convincing me to either raise the turn or clal the river.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was apparently way off on this one... i was thinking something like a T, 8, 3, maybe 2, 45, J9, A4, J7, air...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking his range also included a fair number that wouldn't call down unimproved. so by not raising the turn i get another bet if he has air, and i lose less if a bad river card comes and he rivers me. he's often firing on the river with a draw, i'll get 2 bets if he misses anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
the range also included smaller pairs and ace highs. the river card was great, no draws hit, the chances of him having a T are slightly lower. now i've already gotten 2 bets out of him if he had a draw or air, so what if i don't get to see his hand? him folding tells me enough. if he does have a hand he was calling down unimproved with from the turn though, i get that extra bet now.

so i guess i chose this line because i though the range was an even mixture of hands that were calling UI and ones that weren't. i was just calling down most river cards, but that one was good enough for me to want to put in a raise. maybe i'm way off on this one.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:30 AM

i like your line much better with kk or aa.

the problem with 99 is that even if he has air he has likely 3 outs to win.