Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 10:25 AM

Default flop action heads up

it's my second hand here. the first hand i raised preflop, he called and folded to my flop bet.

does 3-betting make sense now? should i always bet the flop in the first place?

PokerStars 15/30 Hold'em (2 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero ?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: flop action heads up

No way would I 3-bet here, I think he's saying he has a showdownable hand the vast majority of the time and that's what he's going to do with it.

Basically for this reason, I'd just check behind on the flop. Your fold equity is basically 0 when you bet I think and I don't think betting the flop means that he'll fold tons more when you bet the turn, and if he does it means you had the best hand, so yeah just check behind the flop.

Also checking behind the flop here might even get 4 bets from him on the turn if you hit because often he's checking with the intention of checkraising because he's got a strong hand and he's going to expect you to bet a flush draw on the flop so he'll 3-bet his strong hand on the turn and you can cap.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: flop action heads up

I like your thinking here, spam. I'll also add that I would be looking to showdown this hand pretty much no matter what comes off. Partly because you have showdown value, but also because it is very valuable to see what hand the guy played this way so early in a HU session.