Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Good laydown with AA?

Live $12/24 game
9 Handed

BB has been riding one hell of a lucky streak. He's loose and aggressive and will chase postflop.
MP3 has a horseshoe up his butt. Miracle cards have been dropping like flies for him and he has been running over the table. He's loose and aggressive, but decent post flop.

Hero is in the CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, MP3 calls, CO calls

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players)
Pot: (10 SB)

On the flop, BB looks like he is hyperventilating and last time he acted this way, he showed down a strong hand. He looks at me like he is begging me to bet so he can check raise.

It is checked around to me and I bet (I know there are draws out there, but would it be safer to check based on BB's behavior and protect my hand on the turn instead?).

Button folds, BB raises, MP1 folds, MP3 calls two cold, I call.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] (3 players)
Pot: (8 BB)

BB bets, MP3 raises, Hero folds...
Old 09-12-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Good laydown with AA?

This is a good fold, in my opinion. If the BB doesn't have a monster hand as he seems to be indicating, the intermediate cold-caller/turn raiser almost certainly does. I highly doubt he's cold-calling with overcards/flush draw and then semi-bluffing the turn or raising with just a Q.

No, you should not check the flop, even if your boy over in the BB is hyperventilating... I think it's usually not a great idea to make plays widely divergent from sound strategy (as checking here would probably be) based solely on physical tells.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:11 PM

I 3-bet the flop with your read of the players and toss it on the turn if theyre both still coming at me.

The way you played it, folding isnt bad. BB could just be nitting it up...but sb's raise in this pot prices you out. calling will probably get you stuck...so yeah. i think folding is best here.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet the flop with your read of the players and toss it on the turn if theyre both still coming at me.

The way you played it, folding isnt bad. BB could just be nitting it up...but sb's raise in this pot prices you out. calling will probably get you stuck...so yeah. i think folding is best here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I failed to mention in my first reply that I think three-betting the flop is the way to go also.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:18 PM

That middle player calling two cold and then raising the turn makes this an easy fold for me. Nice hand. And even when you see a physical tell like that, make note of it, but with Aces, or any hand for that matter, I play it the way I usually would with an additional pretense for caution. When the warning signs come now the decision is easier.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:20 PM

Both BB and MP3 are LAGs. Do you always expect a LAG to have a 7 if he is raising the turn? I think I call this hand down.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...MP3 has a horseshoe up his butt...

[/ QUOTE ]

It took awhile for me to get past this visual...

After I got done laughing, I'd say, good fold, though.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both BB and MP3 are LAGs. Do you always expect a LAG to have a 7 if he is raising the turn? I think I call this hand down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Between the cold call on the flop and the turn raise, yes I expect a hand that beats you 99.99% of the time. HU would be different, but calling down here IMO loses $.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SBs play is supposed to be decent, so im assuming hes not semi-bluff raising the turn after calling the flop. The best we can hope for here is that he has AQ. If has a monster, then getting sandwiched between him and the lag is going to suck.

that being said, its painful to lay AA down here. i would feel better if i had shown more agg earlier...
Old 09-12-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[that being said, its painful to lay AA down here. i would feel better if i had shown more agg earlier...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you have to three bet the flop, makes folding this turn a lot less painful.