Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Good Ol\' Stop-n-Go

[ QUOTE ]
You were lucky this guy was a tight player. I can't imagine you getting away with this against a good player. Maybe if you told us the buy-in level...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It was a 20+2. My feeling was that if I didn't make a move soon, I would be losing my FE shortly. What's more, the blinds were going up in 2 hands. Still too premature a move?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:28 PM

So good players call missed flops with an AQ ?

Huh.

It's fine--a bit gutsy though. Sometimes it's okay to bluff in NL tourneys near the endgame. And hey--It worked. Blinds were large, you had to make a move. You've got good folding equity.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Huh.

It's fine--a bit gutsy though. Sometimes it's okay to bluff in NL tourneys near the endgame. And hey--It worked. Blinds were large, you had to make a move. You've got good folding equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in a similar situation against a seemingly good, tight player in a $50+5 yesterday. He raised pre-flop, I called with KTo from the BB, flop came 9 high and I pushed for a good amount of chips. He called me with AJ because he "knew" I was bluffing. Good thing I hit a King on the turn.
So yes, if they have a read that you're running a stop-n-go like this, then they might call. That's why I'd rather pull this move with a pocket pair.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
than a thread about some random hand without much content

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think that folding here is not an option? that's certainly what i would do.

i think there's plenty to talk about here.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:08 PM

schwa,

yes, i think there's stuff to talk about here, but as OP pointed out, this wasn't phrased as a question. it comes off more as a "check out my ginormous cock" post than a "is this line good" post.

i've got no problem with OP, it's just that when i see a hand like this with no question, i don't even usually stop to read it.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in a similar situation against a seemingly good, tight player in a $50+5 yesterday. He raised pre-flop, I called with KTo from the BB, flop came 9 high and I pushed for a good amount of chips. He called me with AJ because he "knew" I was bluffing. Good thing I hit a King on the turn.
So yes, if they have a read that you're running a stop-n-go like this, then they might call. That's why I'd rather pull this move with a pockt pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth nothing that you pulled your Stop-n-Go with two overs. This way it's more of a semi-bluff Stop-n-Go whereas mine was a pure bluff. I like your situation much better than mine. But I had decided before my PF call that I was pushing any flop.

Would you have still did the "Go" with the KTo if the an A flopped?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it comes off more as a "check out my ginormous cock" post than a "is this line good" post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt it was inappropriate to post pictures with my original post.

Anyway, schwa, that's a good question. Basically, I felt that with the blinds going up soon and having only 4BB after folding this and the next hand, I would be losing a lot of my FE. This certainly was a gamble, and I didn't LOVE the flop (I put the raiser on two big cards). But I knew if he didn't hit the queen, he would fold.

Would you have folded here and pushed any two next hand if it was folded to you? That's not a bad plan either, but you have to hope it gets folded to you next hand.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you have folded here and pushed any two next hand if it was folded to you? That's not a bad plan either, but you have to hope it gets folded to you next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i think that is probably what i'd do, though your stack size is almost exactly ideal for what i look for in stop and goes.

citanul
Old 08-26-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Huh.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the guy is a desperate shortstack, I would most likely call with less that AQ.

Huh.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would a good player have minraised preflop with AQ?