Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Artest gone for year, other suspensions absurdly long

your hyperbole is simply amazing and stupid.

Watch the highlights of the whole thing again. Wallace started the whole thing, and in fact he did absolutely nothing to defuse the situation.

I am done talking to you too because I have read several insanely stupid posts from you regarding this topic already.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:11 PM

Yes it is, it doesn't matter what the action, a phsyical threat to a player is a phsyical threat. People continue to try to say "it's only a cup". Ok, so at what point is it assult, and worthy of defending onesself, after two beers, three beers, at 10 ft away, at 5 ft away. The fact is the law makes these lines ambiguous because people have different limits and an attack, no matter the action, is an attack (after a resonable level, for example, bumping into someone on the sidewalk isn't sufficient cause to beat him up).
As for Wallace, yeah way to long, give him the usual two or three game (whatever is consistant) suspension for the throat punch and get on with it.

Cody
Old 11-21-2004, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pistons should absolutely have to play their next home game against the Pacers without any fans in attendance, ala international soccer. To have no repercussions to the team or its fans is only going to encourage this behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been reading these Piston/Pacer threads for a couple of days, and I think Clarky has come the closest to what I think about the situation.

The Pistons playing in front of an empty house would hurt the Pistons slightly. Its sort of what I'm getting at.

After seeing the replays a few hundred times, I found the actions of the players to be one of the most disgusting displays of self control ever (and I've watched alot of European soccer).

Artest comitted a stupid, worthless foul when the game was completely out of reach. Wallace completely overreacted to the foul, and should have walked away. The rest is history.

My major problem with this incident was the complete lack of security and police throughout the entire altercasion. Where the hell were they? The whole thing lasted 5 minutes. If all the security in the building can't get to the bench area to insure the saftey of the players and the fans, then they aren't running. I'd bet that I could get from one side of the Palace to the other in 5 minutes in a wheelchair!

When the Pacers were leaving the court, they were being pelted with bottles, cups, food, and other various items from the crowd. There was a total of 5 security guards at the railings, and no one was lifting a finger. The camera man was in a better spot than security. The whole display was ridiculous and the people involved should be ashamed of what they were a part of that night.

Having said that, I think Mr Stern shoud fine the Pistons a ton of cash for basicly being stupid. Their inability to anticipate a situation like this breaking out atests to that. This is a big rivalry. Not Yanks/Sox, but big enough to have the possibility of this situation happening. Also, this isn't hockey, where fans are separated fromthe players by glass (although there have been instances where that didn't help). The Pistons, as well as every basketball arena should have more security in the bench areas because they are so accessable by the public. This goes for both the college and pro basketball teams.

Next time, lets see a team anticipate this type of fight and address it properly, before the fight happens. Fine the Pistons. They are just as responsible for this disaster as Ron Artest is.

Joe
Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 PM

Wait a tick Salt, he has a small point. That is we sholdn't blame this on Detroit, as it didn't happen in their city, but rather it is the fault of Detroit Pistons Fans, wherever they may have come from. That distiction is important.

Cody
Old 11-21-2004, 08:17 PM

Rich, I agree that the fans should be punished for what they did, but that is the police's job, not the NBA's.

As for your example of you throwing water in my face and me punching you in retaliation, you are incorrect. Both of us could be arrested. It is a common misconcetpion that the person who does not make the first contact has a blank check to retaliate. True, the law allows for self-defense, but only in cases in which you are in danger of serious bodily injury. Although you throwing water in my face is insulting, it does not put in danger of bodily harm.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:26 PM

I was sort of joking. You are right, its the fans that are to blame, not the city.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:32 PM

Wait a sec, I agree that Artests foul was cheap and unessecary, but it wasn't flagrant. Wallaces reaction was based on pent up anger from the games outcome. Okay he's out for 3 and Artest is given a medel for his self control (as anyone should after walking away from a throat punch).
Wow this was great, aww no, some one just threw something at Artest when he was on the scorers table, great now we have a riot, what is Stephen Jackson even doing up there, wow why is that guy on the floor attacking people, oh well Artest and O'Neal will take care of it. Christ Almighty what a mess.
"Okay Ronny, sorry but you just can't enter the stands, I'm gonna have to suspend you for 20 games."
"20?!?! You only gave Maxwell 10"
"Yep 20, I know you were defending yourself, but next time find the nearest policemen (assuming Detroit will use them next time) and point the guy out, they'll deal with him."
"Okay next are Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson, sorry but you guys need to sit for 10 becuase of your actions and Stephen you get to sit an extra 10 for entering the stands after Artest"
"That's crap I was just defending my teammate."
"I don't care if it was you mother, do not enter the stands, the reason it's only 20 and not the season is that I understand that you were provoked, but that's still not an entirely forgivable excuse."
"Lastly we have Big Ben Wallace, let's see you throat punched Artest, that's three games and think about why we shouldn't throat punch people."
"Oops I almost forgot the Detroit Pistons Franchise. I know you love the look of the Palace packed with fans, but I'm gonna give you a chance to enjoy it when it's devoid of fans. THat's right, since you can't control your fans, or even put enough security to defuse a situation, you get to play your next game against these Pacers without any fans. Thank international soccer for that one."
"Pacer Fans, I know you don't want any suspensions but you have to realize that occasionally players must rise above the actions of fans. Your players will pay their penelties for their actions, and be thankful they were acting in self-defense or they would be done for a year."
"Pistons fans, you need to learn that your actions will have consiquences, no longer will you be granted impunity as part of a large crowd. Your team will suffer from your actions, and I can only hope that the law does everything in it's power to bring you to justice (ed. note- It won't)."

Cody
Old 11-21-2004, 08:36 PM

I suppose this is where we differ in our opinion of the incident. I see the water as a precursor to further violence, whereas I think you see it as an isolated incident. Neither of us will ever know who is correct, but I will say that I highly doubt that if Artest does nothing (or mearly calls security) that the shower will stop there. What do you think the fans would think after seeing Artest just take to water, do you really think they would stop?

Cody
Old 11-21-2004, 08:39 PM

In an ideal world, fans would be thrown out and banned for throwing things. Unfortunately that is not the case. But allowing players to retaliate just makes the situation worse.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:15 PM

"Pretty absurd."

I agree. Far too light.