Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Was I wrong to call this all-in bet?

Just a 3 person tourney in which we all started with 3k in chips and at the time of this hand I had a little over t4500 and the blinds were only 40/80. I was in the SB with KdQd and the Button raised to a straight t280. I called and the BB folded. The flop came 2d4d8c and I checked and then Button bet t500. At this point I knew he had a PP anywhere from 6,6-j,j. I just called knowing that I was actually favored when we saw the turn and river cause any K, Q, or Diamond would win for me. After the flop the pot was t1640. The turn brought a blank and he went all-in for t1700 more. I calculated the odds and saw that I was getting 2-1 on my money where I was atleast 35% to win the hand which justified a called based soley upon the odds themselves. Before I made the call, I counted how much I would have left if I lost and it was still little over 2k with the blinds still relatively low and I had confidence that I could still easily win with 2k. I knew if I won that hand though that there was basically no way I was losing as the other player left had only around t1500 and I knew I played much better than both to begin with. After I called and a Q came off on the river I was heavily scrutinized by my play. One thing that was criticized was my call of t500 on the flop because I was behind, but if both cards were seen everytime I was actually statistically ahead on the flop. They could not grasp the concept of having 15 outs twice is the same has having 30 outs once approximately. Even after coming home and calculating the odds on pokerstove and proving it to him he still disagreed. Anyways was I wrong to call?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Was I wrong to call this all-in bet?

yes, even if you won the hand
Old 11-23-2005, 10:00 PM

I would call the flop too if I thought any K,Q or Diamond would win it for me.

But since you think any K,q or Diamond will win it for you his range would be the following:

41,580 games 0.005 secs 8,316,000 games/sec

Board: 2d 4d 8c
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 47.1717 % 47.17% 00.00% { JJ-99, 77-55, 33 }*
Hand 2: 52.8283 % 52.83% 00.00% { KdQd }

What kind of card was the turn? If it was a J,T,9,7,6,5 or a 3 that could make your K and Q not count as an out any longer which I would be the most afraid of and the only outs you have is a diamond and it cannot be 8d or BLANKd. I fold this turn.

*I am not sure that really is his range but from your post that is what you put him on and I go with that.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:31 PM

1. Paragraphs
2. Check-raise all-in on the flop if you think you're favored if you see both cards, otherwise you'll only get to see one.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Check-raise all-in on the flop if you think you're favored if you see both cards, otherwise you'll only get to see one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Me like. Put the hard decision on him if you think you are a 47-53 favorite on the flop.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:44 PM

please explain why u think i was wrong.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 PM

i have played with this guy alot and i knew by his bet after turn he didnt hit set and was tryin to protect his overpair.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 PM

i would CR allin also, you have a good draw and may have some FE.

you seem to have a good grasp of poker theory and math, dont let ur buddies convince you that you played wrong when really they are just upset they lost
Old 11-23-2005, 11:22 PM

ty for ur feedback. i guess i left out that i really didnt have any fold equity. this guy plays his hand til he's dead and i knew he was protecting a pp that wasnt aa kk qq by the way he raised pf. this guy always limps with top 3 pairs and sometimes jacks. i didnt check raise cause i knew he would call and i could see another card for 500 and he might only bet 500 on turn possibly. thank you
Old 11-24-2005, 12:27 AM

You were wrong to call because you should have raised. Either lead or cr the flop you have 15 outs and if you play the hand agressively you could get him to fold. Also what if you called all in the turn and he was bluffing with a high or a pair of deuces and then you missed. You have a pretty strong hand and you need to play it more agressively.