Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: 5/10 NL...Deep Stacks...Weak Full House on River and I\'m 3-Bet

I'm not even sure I would raise the river if he was tight.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 AM

preflop
QJ - wouldn't he open this from the sb?
Q7 - it's a bad raise but an even worse complete, esp. for a tight player.
Q4 - same.
44 - i think he would open w/ this.
QQ - unpossible.
suited connector / gapper of clubs - certainly possible. do you think he would semibluff lead flop, or even go to c/r your continuation bet? and if he does have clubs, is his turn play a horrible trap? does he give that river action w/ a flush on a paired board because just because it's heads up and he thinks it's less likely that there's a boat out there to beat him?

i don't see much value in a river raise once the tight player leads. if he thinks you're tilting then he probably thinks you will pay him off with a worse hand, but tight players still don't like getting their money in with something like trips on a 3-flush, paired board.

your pf action could represent anything, but to raise from the blind usually requires a decent holding (esp. since you can see a free flop w/ garbage cards). on flop he may put you on AA-99, AK, AQ, and perhaps a few more weaker continuation-bet hands. after your fire the second barrel on the 3rd club turn for 2/3ish pot and he calls, that range tightens up.

i don't know if this post has any substance since it didn't really help me narrow his range down. but his line represents at least trips, but given his image and lack of a preflop raise with a big/decent queen your river raise is no good.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Results

I make a poor call and he turns over QQ. I really do think I have to raise this river though. He is definitely betting a flush or trips and I will get calls at a greater frequency than normal because of my table image.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I make a poor call and he turns over QQ. I really do think I have to raise this river though. He is definitely betting a flush or trips and I will get calls at a greater frequency than normal because of my table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

The raising part I'm undecided about. I would probably do it also. But that 3-bet, as I'm sure you know, is nothing but trouble.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:50 PM

not raising this river sucks bad.

(not directed at you FF)
Old 12-09-2005, 03:47 PM

at least feel better knowing he did everything in his power not to stack you with top set vs mid set on a paired board in blind v blind confrontation?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:48 PM

Yeah he played it piss poor.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:58 PM

yeti: that 77 thread is funny
flawless: u call that?
flawless: u like his play?
yeti: if there is any doubt in my mind that opponent is a huge idiot, i probably call then likely get annoyed with myself. if im on top of my game i muck it. i just think its funny that AT LEAST half of the people saying 'muck it fast' call immediately.
flawless: ya
flawless: ridic
flawless: i dont know
flawless: at game speed w/ a good image, id most likely call
flawless: id def have raised
flawless: 4sure
flawless: but looking at it on paper, its a fold
Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 PM

FWIW, in general I think you played the hand perfectly up to and including the river raise. Sure, there have been opponents I've played against where I'd just call the river (and even think that was lighting money on fire), but as others said, most of the time a raise is best.

Good luck with whatever you do after that. I think Riverman summed this up quite well. Annoying situation, and on paper you are probably dead, but in the heat of the moment it is so very hard to fold these with a clear conscience vs an unknown.