Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Folding a Really Pretty hand 5/10 6 Max

If you're always betting 1/2 pot then it can become difficult to build a pot when you have a big hand. It's nice to steal pots for cheap amounts but it's also nice to stack opponents.
Opponents may also be willing to look up your 1/2 pot continuation bets more often than a bigger bet.

I think the reason you should bet more on this particular flop is to orchestrate the betting so that if you are raised you can push and not require as much folding equity than if you had pushed flop in actual hand.

You should be wary of stack sizes though. If button and sb had $750 in this hand then a pot bet is not so good because if they raise they are more likely to pot commit themselves with Kx.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:10 PM

In cash games you would always like to play big pots with your big hands...If someone draws out on you, you can rebuy...

In a tournament you can't rebuy, so keeping pots small when you don't have a huge edge or an unbeatable hand is worthwhile....

Also, in cash games it is a good habit to make all your bets and raises the same size, so it is hard to get a read on you...
Old 11-29-2005, 10:49 PM

aside from building the pot jman mucks the turn quickly.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise more PF, pot the flop, push.

[/ QUOTE ]

4x or more?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In cash games you would always like to play big pots with your big hands...If someone draws out on you, you can rebuy...

In a tournament you can't rebuy, so keeping pots small when you don't have a huge edge or an unbeatable hand is worthwhile....

Also, in cash games it is a good habit to make all your bets and raises the same size, so it is hard to get a read on you...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to bump this thread. I've tried making larger bets like you guys suggested, and I'm not feeling good about my game now. Is it a matter of me needing to adjust to the 'correct' way to play, or should I stick with what I'm comfortable with?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to bump this thread. I've tried making larger bets like you guys suggested, and I'm not feeling good about my game now. Is it a matter of me needing to adjust to the 'correct' way to play, or should I stick with what I'm comfortable with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should keep playing what you're comfortable with. You've got to pick your spots for the big overbets, they don't arise often, but the more you mess up the more you'll see whether you liked it or loved it.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this guy reraise preflop with ak?? If so, that's the only hand I see you beating in this situation. Must fold. He has kq, kj, set 4's, or AK. Your draw isn't profitable enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Your your made two pair and flush draw are about 48/52 to that hand range on the turn. There's 500 in the middle and he's pushing with another 720 or so, giving you 1.66:1. That's an easy call given those premises.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does this guy reraise preflop with ak?? If so, that's the only hand I see you beating in this situation. Must fold. He has kq, kj, set 4's, or AK. Your draw isn't profitable enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Your your made two pair and flush draw are about 48/52 to that hand range on the turn. There's 500 in the middle and he's pushing with another 720 or so, giving you 1.66:1. That's an easy call given those premises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for doing actual analysis