Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Tossing AK

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB
Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Tossing AK

I'd call this. I'd expect a 9 to be trickier than this, so I'd say it's more likely a 5 or middling PP. Likely enough that we can peel to our TPTK/flush outs.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 AM

I'd raise this and hopefully take a free card on the turn, unimproved of course.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:19 AM

I would raise here on the flop unless I felt very confident that BB would only bet out with a 9. Otherwise, even if he has a 5 or a pocket pair, we have two overcards and a backdoor flush draw to improve. Raising is probably better than calling since it may give us a free card on the turn if we want it. Also there is a small chance that AK is still best here.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:22 AM

Here is where a read really make a difference, IMHO.

There are some players whose bet into a PF raiser means a powerful hand and others where it virtually guarantees they DON'T have trips here.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:27 AM

I'm thinking that its better to raise

bet the turn, and check behind on the river as the default

I think calling is better than folding as well
Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 AM

I call here as villain has a five(assuming he is your normal Party 1/2er), or doesn't know he has violated the USA PATRIOT ACT's fish proviso that requires them to check raise the turn with trips.

If I know he's prone to bluff flops like that or know he's not too passive as to pass up betting a flush draw I'll raise as the number of times I'm ahead combined with my chance to improve makes it worthwhile. But only that way, since raising to drive people out is silly since if our outs are lives they are to a near cinch, so we might as well let people draw along with us.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:11 AM

What is hero trying to improve to here though? Even if he hits his A or K he has to fear the 9 being out there. Villain could easily have called the PFR with A9-T9 or pocket 5's. Hero can call this bet and easily fold UI, but what if he hits on the turn? I might be seeing the monsters on this one, but improving to second best hand is going to cost you a lot of money here. I hate laying down Big Slick as much as the next guy, but when you whiff on the flop you shouldn't be holding on to just over cards with a board pair. Leave it alone and keep you bets.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:33 AM

If you want to go on with this hand raising is the best option. You will increase your chances a lot by going HU. You might make BB fold (not very likely) or win UI as well. You can get a free turn or a free showdown b/c of your position.

I think raising &gt;&gt; folding &gt; calling.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 AM

reads would be very helpful here, but in general I'd say 90% he doesn't have the 9. you possibly have the best hand here. you've got two overs and a bdfd. I probably raise.